More info:April – September £65 per night, £55 additional nights
October – March £50 first night, £40 additional nights
Additional tents (£10 per person per night)
Responsible tourism: Shepherd's Hut near Aylsham, Norfolk
1. Energy The hut is made from traditional materials and insulated with sheep's wool. It is heated by a woodstove which can also provide heat for cooking.
2. Waste We encourage recycling and provide boxes, bags etc to enable guests to do this easily. Any compostable matter is collected and put on the compost heap to feed the many vegetables grown on the North Farm site. We also ask guests to keep food scraps to feed the chickens who live on site and children are welcome to join in with feeding the chickens and ducks during their stay.
3. Water We have our own bore-hole on the farm which provides water for both North Farm and the cottages. We only use green cleaning products (Ecover, Living Clean and Bio D) to preserve the water supply.
4. Transport Whilst many users of the cottages do come in their cars as they are situated in an extremely rural location, we do encourage those who can to come by bike and so reduce their carbon footprint. We also encourage guests to bring bikes with them to explore the surrounding countryside.
We are around 4 miles from the nearest station at North Walsham. The North Walsham train departs from Norwich and generally has room for bicycles without the need to book in advance.
1.Friends and Neighbours
We encourage guests to support local producers and suppliers and provide information in all our accommodation as to where to find the best food, drink and other products. We also provide listings for independent restaurants, cafes and shops.
Any materials supplied in our welcome pack are either produced at North Farm or sourced from local suppliers.
2. Local crafts and culture There are a number of artists and craftspeople working at North Farm including David Harley (Potter), Maryrose Watson (Weaver and Textile designer), Sarah Wilson (Printer) and Teucer Wilson (Stone Carver). More information is available on the North Farm website which provides links to some of the artists' individual websites. Guests can arrange to view their work and speak to the artists during their stay.
The owners, David and Gill, also run the craft area at the annual Aylsham Show.
There is also a collection on antique agricultural machinery on-site.
The Shepherd's hut was made by hand by a local craftsman who sources original parts from Norfolk.