The Wenhai Cooperative is made up of 56 households from Upper Wenhai village who have invested in the Wenhai Ecolodge. Each household has purchased shares and contributed start-up financing through a loan to the Ecolodge. Cooperative members provide all staffing and management.
This unique community-owned Cooperative:
- Provides income through direct employment and annual dividends to cooperative members
- Contributes 10% of profits to a conservation and community development fund that supports projects around Wenhai Lake
- Enables neighbouring villages to learn about alternative energy options for their households
- Creates an incentive for local people to protect their natural resources and cultural heritage
- Keeps the development and management of tourism in the hands of the local community
- Adheres to all tourist and tour operator codes of conduct for the Lashihai-Wenhai Watershed