Our hotel belies any suggestion that concern for the environment compromises quality standards, having been named three times as County Hotel of the Year, and listed as one of the top 50 hotels in the UK by The Independent newspaper.
We have a comprehensive environmental policy rewritten every year and setting targets for staff, guest and management action to reduce waste and energy. Our environmental policy includes a commitment of not only buying locally but also show casing local produce, local artist, artisans and suppliers. Seasonal, local and organic produce always feature in our menus and the hotel's recycling policy leads to only half a bin of waste a week.
This is conveyed to guests via menu information, room information, displays of produce in public rooms, flyers sent to customers of local events. We also supply a brochure containing 65 web links sign posting guests to local concerns and businesses.
We also have a policy to only employ local people and a have a commitment to train as outlined in the Investors in People programme. We actively promote and encourage visitors to spend and invest in the businesses within the locality. If we are full we offer alternative local accommodation or restaurant facilities.
- 2007 Winner of the 'Considerate Hotel of the Year Awards' Best of British Food in association with Oxford Brookes/Sustain
- 2006 Taste of England ‘Awards for Excellence’
- 2006 EDP Business Awards ‘Environment Award’ finalist
- 2006 Green Apple runner up ‘Environmental Award’
- 2006 Tourism in Norfolk Awards ’Sustainable Tourism’ finalist
- 2006 Runner up RSPCA Alternative Award for ‘Best restaurant in the UK’ (winner 2005)
- 2006 The ‘EDP Food Awards’ – finalist for both ‘Outstanding Achievement Award’ & ‘Plough to Plate’ Award
- 2006 Silver Winner Taste of England ‘Awards for Excellence’
- 2006 Highly commended for ‘Produced in Norfolk’ Environmental Award
- 2005 RSPCA Alternative Award for winner ‘Best restaurant in the UK’
- 2005 Considerate Hotelier’s ‘Environmentally Friendly Hotel of the Year’ Award, also ‘Highly Commended’ for their ‘Considerate Hotel of the Year Award’ Environmental Award
- 2005 Taste of England regional ‘Award Winners for East Anglia’
- 2005 EDP Norfolk First Tourism Awards - winner ‘Best Hotel in Norfolk’
- ‘Investors in People Awarded’ – Investing in our Staff
- 2004 Les Routiers ‘Hotel of the Year’: Regional & National winners
- Eastern Daily Press Norfolk Food Awards: ‘Restaurant/Chef of the Year’ – Winner in 2001, finalist in 2003, 2004 & 2005. ‘Best of Norfolk’ – finalist in 2005
- 2003 National Green Apple Award' - "champions for commerce and industry" Environmental Award
- Green Business Scheme Gold Award Winners
- 2003 Good Hotel Guide - "Cesar Award for exotic bedrooms and an eco-friendly philosophy."
- British Airways UK Tourism for Tomorrow' - "National Winners” Visit Britian Gold Award’, Restaurant with rooms
- 2000 Green Globe, Global Achievement Award Environmental Award
- 2000 DTI’s Queens Award for Industry for ‘Outstanding Environmental Achievement’
- 2000 EDP/Beazer Homes 'Environmental Business of the Year ' also - Runner up in 2001
- 2000 Selected as one of three companies to represent the UK in the European Environment Awards
You can trust responsibletravel.com reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.