Bali Mountain Eco Lodge
This Sustainable Award winning Eco lodge for nature & culture lovers is located at 700m on the slopes of Mt Batukaru in central Bali, 2hrs from Denpasar airport. You will have spectacular views from your balcony to southern Bali and the mountain, with the protected rainforest just 10 minutes away!
Surrounded by lush tropical "food forests" of cacao, coffee, coconuts, vanilla and jungle fruits, the climate is mild and moist. There are sweet scents and exotic flowers, plus more than 100 useful and/or edible plants in our extensive organic gardens.
We offer a private and friendly service from our local staff with a maximum of 15 guests at one time. Delicious traditional local Balinese, International and Raw food dishes made daily from our organic gardens.
A chance for you to reconnect with nature…
Nature lovers & Bird watchers
Families – family bungalows available
Walkers & Mountain trekkers
Gardeners & Permaculture enthusiasts
Chefs & Food lovers – who love fresh ingredients
Artists, Writers & Photographers
Ex- Pats living in Asia
Those interested in traditional cultures
Family or Friends reunion – Book all 4 bungalows
Small retreats & workshops
Those seeking a new lifestyle…
And for all those who would like to tread with lighter feet on the earth…
Not “a hotel” No shops, No tourists, No TV’s, (we do have internet though)
Special things to do
Walks & Treks:
Lodge Organic Culinary & Medicinal Garden Tour ( 1 hr)
Take a Free informative guided tour around our organic gardens and discover over 100 edible & medicinal plants.
3 hour Guided Treks
- Food forest walk - See cocoa, vanilla, coffee and many other tropical fruits
- Rice paddy & Temple Treks
- Rainforest Trek -3 to 5 hour treks in the largest tropical rainforest in Bali
5 Hour Treks
- Walk to the beautiful Temple of Batukaru
- Walk through panoramic rice paddies
7 Hour Trek
- Trek to the summit of Mt. Batukaru (2,200m)
A challenging full day trek, 1 days notice required.
Take an all downhill ride through traditional villages and rice paddy's to the beach, then return by car.
Natural swimming pools
Swim in our natural private mountain water pools with waterfalls
Guided Day Car or Motorbike trips
Explore local villages, rice paddy's & farmlands
Choose from over 11 workshops taught by our local community from cooking classes, to Balinese carving, Language, Farming and making temple offerings
Relax or invigorate your body with a 1-2 hr massage from our trained local village women
We have a special focus on traditional local dishes, harvesting spices, fruits, herbs and vegetables from the lodges extensive organic gardens daily to prepare your meals. International meals also available. Special diets catered for. New focus on Raw & Gluten free meals.
Rooms, food and facilities
4 Beautiful bungalows, individually hand crafted from natural materials.
All having stunning views and total privacy.
- Daily Drinking water
- Daily Breakfast - Tropical fruit, pancakes, Fried bananas, toast with homemade jam
- Mini bar fridge
- Natural handmade soaps
- Natural insect repellent
- Safety box
- Mosquito nets
- Bamboo sheets
- Balcony with spectacular views
- Natural housekeeping & pest control
- Free 24/7 Wi/Fi internet
Tree House Bungalow ( 2 - 5 people)
A lovely hand crafted 2 level bungalow set amongst our tropical organic gardens. 2 bedrooms -
Upstairs 1 Queen sized bed & optional 1 extra single bed with private lounge
Downstairs -1 Queen sized bed & optional 1 extra single bed.
- Covered Large Patio with relaxing lounge area & sun chair
- Lounge room
- Garden bathroom, hot shower - (downstairs)
- Yoga space
Jungle Bungalow ( 2 - 5 people)
A unique 2 level bungalow set amongst our tropical organic gardens with 3 bedrooms
- 1 double bed & 2 single beds
- Wooden Verandah with dining area
- Lounge room
- Spectacular views down the valley to the ocean
- 1 large single bed
- Marble floored bathroom, hot shower - (downstairs)
Orchid Bungalow (1-2 people)
A romantic private haven for 2 set amongst our tropical organic gardens:
A lovely private bungalow with Balinese hand carved timbers. Set in our beautiful organic gardens with mountain and forested valley views & stunning morning sunrise. Perfect for couples and/or singles (not suitable for children under 10yrs)
- Queen sized bed with cotton mosquito net
- Wooden covered verandah
- Lounge & Dining room
- Ensuite Orchid garden bathroom with hot shower
- Sun Chairs
- Garden area for exercising
Rumah Manis Bungalow (1-2 people)
A beautiful private bungalow - perfect for couples or singles.
Immersed in nature you will be awakened to gentle bird songs and a stunning sunrise. Surrounded by lush tropical organic gardens with spectacular views down the forested valley to southern Bali. Decorated in Balinese style with locally handcrafted bamboo furniture and timbers.
- Queen-size Bed with cotton mosquito net
- Day sitting room
- Dining area
- Garden bathroom, hot shower
- Yoga space
Open air Restaurant
Natural Mountain swimming pool
Mountain bike hire
Natural river swimming with waterfall
Free 24/7 WiFi
Special Romantic dinners
3-5 Day packages available
How to find us
We are approx 2 hours drive from Denpasar airport, Ubud, Kuta and the seminyak area. Transport is available, please contact us for details.
Responsible travel: Bali Mountain Eco Lodge
• Community “ no catching bird” policy.
• Preservation of 800 hectares of local rainforest
• Planted 4,000 bird and animal attracting trees within the rainforest.
• Bali Starling breeding program – breeding birds for release
• Captive monkey rescue – providing safe homes for captured monkeys
• Captive wildlife releases – Pangolins, native Spotted cat, Reticulated pythons, native birds
• Established the Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association (STGA)
• Rubbish pick up from 5 villages ( shared with neighboring hotels)
• No chemical farming
• We use only Natural cleaning products in our rooms
• Natural essential oil spray room fresheners
• Natural locally produced – liquid soaps
• We make our own natural laundry soap – all natural washing of bed linens, towels & guest laundry
• Natural locally produced – insect repellents
• We change the towels only when guests request
• Bamboo paper for business cards & room information
• Our activities aim to be as low impact as possible ie. trekking in the rainforest and surrounding farmlands
• Swimming. We have developed our natural waterholes with minimum impact
• We provide education through in-room information booklets, a range of workshops and discussions with our guests
• We have a library for information on Permaculture and the environment
We are committed to demonstrating non-chemical farming & sustainable waste management. All organic wastes are composted, sewage and waste water are treated by waste water gardens. We have a communal, gravity-fed water supply system and recycle where possible. Pest control is entirely non-chemical and fruit, vegetables and herbs are grown in the extensive lodge gardens. All house keeping is chemical free and we use natural soaps in the rooms
Our local community has been a main contributor to our success, we honor their part in our lodge and support them 100%.
• 100% Local employment only- Our staff live within 10 minutes of the Eco Lodge
• We train inexperienced locals and build capacity in experienced staff
• Our wages are above the recommended Government wage
• A 5% service charge is shared evenly among our staff
• Our staff are supported to attend religious ceremonies
• We close for 6 days for the 2 main ceremonies in Bali so our staff can attend ceremonies
• Our staff choose their days off each month
Our community work "free lance" for the lodge facilitating guest activities & workshops so can also farm and look after their families.
Sponsored Community Projects by sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Weekly classes for children aged 5 – 12 yrs
• Silat (martial art class) teacher, uniforms & equipment
• Football team – Coach, uniforms & ground management
• English class at the local school
On going community support…
• Student University scholarship -5 years
• Bali Starling Bird Breeding project
• School maintenance, cleaning & mural painting
• Tree planting in the Batukaru Rainforest
• Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association
• Monthly rubbish pick up and disposal – with neighboring hotels
• Arjo – Spiritual Drama group
The story of the provider of Bali Mountain Eco Lodge
Norm & Linda Owner/Managers of the Lodge, came to Bali 20 years ago, as the first " Foreigners "on Mount Batukaru, they went on to marry here, raise their 2 boys and carve a wonderful life with the local community.
Slowly over 18 years Sarinbuana Eco Lodge organically evolved, as people wanted to come and stay, so they built a few bungalows and the lodge became an extension of their daily life.
It was said "no one would want to come to such a remote place in Bali- the road is bad, there are no shops or tourism developments and what is an Eco lodge?" They are grateful for the small (but growing) percentage of aware people who like to see and get to know, traditional cultures, taste real Balinese food and get back to nature.
Norm & Linda have pioneered Eco Tourism in Bali. Sarinbuana Eco Lodge has become a working model and a benchmark for sustainability.
For 18 years they have actively lobbied the local community to preserve and value their natural resources.
Norm & Linda are also Sustainable Design & Management Consultants. Their experiences are drawn from: Organic farming, Permaculture, environmental Management & Education, Aid work in Aceh (after the tsunami) and Community development projects.
The lodge has received the 2007 & 2010 Wild Asia "Best Responsible Tourism Accommodation" Award and has the highest Eco-rating in the ‘Natural Guide to Bali’.