Responsible travel: Northumberland hotel, England
1. Wildlife - we provide a safe environment for over 28 species of birds, 6 species of bumblebees, hedgehogs, squirrels and encourage our guests to follow our lead.
2. Waste - we provide recycling bins in the hotel for guests and diners, our kitchen department reduces waste to landfill by recycling all their cardboard, plastic and polystyrene. In additional all food waste is put into our composter. Plus our housekeeping dept use re-fillable eco products throughout the hotel.
3. Water - on site we have a 3000 litre rain water harvesting tank, which supplies enough water to use on our 2 acre garden which includes 2 polytunnels.
4. Energy - we have a biomass boiler which provides heat and hot water for the whole of the hotel. Any surplus heat produced from the boiler house is piped into our polytunnels to provide those areas with a constant temperature throughout the year. We also have solar panels which supplement the heat produced from the biomass boiler, if needed.
5. Buildings - we use local trades people where ever possible, source re claimed oak to replace any timbers and preserve all the stonework around the building by using traditional practices
6. Transport - we have an electric car charging point which is open to our residents and the public. In additional to this we also have an electric car on site which we use as much as possible for local journeys. We are also located on a bus route, therefore any guests wishing to travel by public transport can asked to be dropped off right on our doorstep.
7. Suppliers - we encourage suppliers to lessen the packaging on their products, we recycle packaging where possible with all suppliers and we also encourage all our local suppliers to speak to each other regarding the consolidation of deliverys, to lessen the food miles.
1. Friends & neighbours - as we are situated in Hadrian's Wall Country there are numerous sites to visit along the wall including the Roman Army Museum, which is a must. We are also only approximately an hours drive away from the coast and places such as Alnwick.
2. Campaigning for change - we are actively involving with all our local MP's to support any eco campaigns which they need assistance with.
3. Volunteering & charity - we provide a senior citizens lunch every Monday and provide a pick up service within the village for any pensioners wishing to come along. We support the local primary school by cooking their school meals, after due to lack of funding their kitchen had to unfortunately close. Local and national charities are supported by us at events we hold throughout the year such as North Air Ambulance, Children In Need, Water Aid and St Oswalds Hospice.
4. A fair deal - we employ approximately 20 staff who all live within walking distance of the hotel, which helps with our carbon footprint. These staff work in all departments of the hotel such as housekeeping, kitchen, bar, restaurant and garden. As part of the BII we offer a wide range of approved training courses to our staff.
5. Local crafts and culture - we source products from local producers where ever possible, such as our jams, hospitality products in the guests rooms, ice cream, meats, fish, cheese, soaps and we also use produce grown in our 2 acre garden on site. Most of these products can be bought through the hotel when our guests check out, or can be ordered on the internet directly from our suppliers.
6. Travelling with respect - We have great links with local tourism centres, visitor attractions, tour guides and transport operators. Which means our guests are provided with a friendly and welcoming service when staying with us and exploring the area.