Responsible Travel is the world's leading marketing platform for tour operators and accommodation owners committed to responsible tourism
with over 375 specialist operators and hundreds of accommodations worldwide. We only promote holidays that have been carefully pre-screened by us to ensure they meet our criteria for responsible tourism and members must provide visitors with a real connection with the people, the landscape, the culture and the environment. We call this helping them to 'travel like a local'.
Job vacancies in travel companies
Content writer - Responsible Travel: From £22,000 - Brighton, UK
Responsible Travel is the world's largest online travel agency specialising in responsible tourism. It is a travel site for those seeking a more authentic, more immersive holiday experience - a refreshing, authentic alternative to the 'pile 'em high' all inclusive mainstream package holidays.
We offer over 5,5000 diverse small-scale, niche travel holiday offerings, across 180 countries and every year over 10,000 people travel with us. In addition, we publish online travel guides covering the diverse range of countries, regions and activities offered on the site in a magazine-style format.
About the role
Responsible Travel is looking for a content writer to be based in our Brighton office. The writer's main responsibilities will be:
- An overhaul of the existing product pages, ensuring the visual and written style of these pages meets the high quality of the rest of the website. We are looking for a competent writer who is able to describe the holidays and tours honestly and uniquely - using good SEO practice to increase search rankings and attract new visitors.
- Writing online travel guides and in depth articles to destinations and activities. We don't subscribe to typical travel writing clichés or overt marketing language; our writing is honest, chatty, insightful and shows personality.
As part of this role, you will receive training in using our database and will be uploading some of the content directly to the website. In addition to this, the writer will be creating and editing content to support the wider business. Examples may include updating published travel guides, carrying out interviews with holiday companies and creating campaign copy to use in our marketing and communications activities.
Salary, benefits and application details
- You enjoy inspiring and informing others about destinations, travel ideas and responsible tourism.
- You have experience of writing both longer form articles as well as copywriting for the web.
- You have excellent desk-based research skills.
- You have experience of rewriting, editing, proofreading and subbing copy.
- You are to work quickly, accurately and to produce copy to deadlines.
- SEO experience is helpful.
- Salary: From £22,000, depending on experience.
- Holiday: 20 days' paid holiday plus bank holidays.
- Duration: One year fixed term
- Hours: Full time (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday including a one-hour break). Please note - we are not able to offer this as a part time role.
- Location: Responsible Travel's office in central Brighton. We will consider the option of working from home on certain days, though you will be expected to travel to our Brighton office at least three days per week.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
by 5th February 2017. Please include:
- Your CV and a covering letter
- Relevant links to or samples of your published work
- A 150-word description of a destination of your choice, written in the style of our travel guides.
[Posted: 20 Jan 2017]
Jobs we never have
We are based in south-east England, in Brighton (we do not have offices elsewhere) and as we do not operate tours we do not employ guides, tour leaders, activity co-ordinators, trip organisers, or anybody outside the UK.
UK law requires employers to pay the National Minimum Wage for any kind of work, including work experience, internships or placement schemes.
At present we are only able to offer internships that are fully funded by a third party. We are sorry that we are unable to consider applications for internships where full funding is not already in place.
We work mainly with Sussex university, who offer fully funded internships to their students, and would consider students from other fully funded internship programmes. Linked below are the internship job descriptions that we have with them to give you a sense of what we offer. The exact roles we are able to offer to fully funded interns will depend on our requirements at a particular time.
Your covering letter, (which must confirmation you have access to full funding for the internship and with whom
) and CV should be sent to email@example.com
We are sorry that we are unable to consider applications for internships where full funding is not already in place.
We do offer up to 4 students a year the opportunity to volunteer at our offices. Volunteers are under no contractual obligation to perform work or provide services and the primary aim is to give students the opportunity to shadow members of the various teams at Responsible Travel. We may come to informal arrangements with someone to carry out a specific task. You offer your time and effort for free. Volunteers do not qualify for the national minimum wage. Unpaid volunteer placements details:-
- There will be no specific hours of work, but the opportunity is only open for one full week
- There will be no outline duties that a student is expected to perform
- We will not rely on individuals on volunteer placements to fulfil real jobs
- They are 1 week in duration (we are a small team, from experience this is enough)
To volunteer with us, send a covering letter, your CV with details of your specific work interests and when and how long you are available for to firstname.lastname@example.org