responsibletravel.com is the world's leading marketing platform for tour operators, accommodation owners, day trip operators and visitor attractions committed to responsible tourism
with over 350 specialist operators and 1000s of accommodations worldwide. We have over 350,000 visitors per month and a database of 160,000 past bookers and enquirers. We only promote holidays that have been carefully pre-screened by us to ensure they meet our criteria for responsible tourism and members must provide visitors with a real connection with the people, the landscape, the culture and the environment. We call this helping them to 'travel like a local'.
responsibletravel.com and our staff
are based in south-east England and we do not employ guides
, tour leaders, activity co-ordinators, trip organisers, or anybody outside the UK for positions in any of the destinations we promote. Please see below for vacancies at responsibletravel.com, and from some of the members we represent & other responsible tourism organisations.
Head of Group Tour Operations
Head of Group Tours
MAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Tour Leaders (TLs)
- To act as Line Manager to currently 4 Group Tour Operations Managers (Ops Mgrs) and currently 1 Group Tour Operations Assistant (Assistant)
- Recruitment, retention and quality control of TLs
- Scheduling and contracting of TLs
- Overall responsibility for TL training (including local TLs)
- Overhauling TL contracts and paperwork for efficiency, fairness and Risk Management purposes
- Ensuring TLs have suitable First Aid qualifications, insurance and any other required skills or qualifications
- Ensuring that TLs are adequately briefed and debriefed
- Acting as an arbiter in any disputes between Ops Mgrs and TLs
General Operational Duties
- Chairing fortnightly meetings with the Group Tour Operations team
- Having weekly meetings with the Group Tour Operations Assistant to ensure they are managing their workload
- Having regular (frequency TBC) meetings with individual Ops Mgrs to ensure that safety and quality issues are being followed up on
Emergency Duty Phone
- Managing the Ops Mgrs and taking ultimate responsibility for all the WF Group Tour Operations
- Ensuring that tours are contracted in good time, costs negotiated and tours priced in accordance with WF margins
- Maintaining a good relationship with existing DMCs and nurturing new ones
- Maintaining a good relationship with existing flight consolidators and airlines and nurturing new ones
- Overseeing all flight bookings for Group Tours
- Taking control of situations as they arise on group tours and seeing them through to a satisfactory conclusion
- Managing workload of Ops Mgrs and stepping in if needed at busy times
- Ensuring that any tour changes are communicated around the office and to all key parties such as clients and DMCs
- Managing the department to ensure that clients receive all necessary paperwork in good time
- Working in conjunction with the Head of Group Tours to implement systems that will benefit and streamline the efficiency and productivity of the Operations department
- Updating and improving tour itineraries in conjunction with both TLs and Ops Mgrs
- Responsible for managing the work balance for Ops Mgrs
- Sending out Newsflashes
- Incident Handling
Quality & Safety
- Managing the rotation of the 24 hour emergency mobile around the Ops Mgrs
- Acting as first back-up to duty manager
- Working with the Head of Group Tours to establish and maintain an effective risk management system for all tours
- Maintaining Quality and Safety log of all incidents or near misses
- After consulting with Head of Group Tours, reporting any potential claims to our Public Liability insurers
KEY JOB & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Acting as a main liaison with Travcour/Visa Machine (visa agencies)
- Acting as main liaison with Beth (our map maker)
- Ensuring that equipment such as Satellite phones, First-Aid kits, laptops etc are sufficient for the team's needs
- Reporting minor issues to AXUM and ACCORD (our Database & Web Developers)
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience tour-leading in the adventure travel market
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in group tour operations in the adventure travel market
- Experience of managing and motivating teams
- A passion for travel and an acute understanding of the complex nature of adventure travel organisation and what the adventure/cultural traveller wants to experience.
- Excellent telephone manner, with excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent customer service capabilities showing an ability to deal with a variety of client concerns.
- Ability to set and work to deadlines and to remain calm under pressure
- Attention to detail, ability to plan ahead and work on own initiative.
- Multi-tasking skills.
- Knowledge of flight booking systems a bonus but not essential
- Computer literate and numerate
- Patience and persistence in dealing with foreign countries and bureaucracy
- Excellent organisation/communication/interpersonal skills.
- Good presentation, clean and tidy.
- A commitment to good ethics and responsible travel
Windows 2013, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Axum Reservations System, Amadeus (optional)
Degree level preferred
IT Skills Required:
Reasonable working knowledge of Windows 2013 (or similar) and Microsoft Office packages.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm or 10:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday half-days worked on a rota system (max 3 per annum) 10.00am – 2.00pm. This can then be reclaimed as time in lieu.
Occasionally you will have to attend trade shows and functions as required.
Possible overseas trips for training/research purposes.
Being available by phone as a back-up for Duty Mgrs and for major incidents
22 days holiday per year (plus UK Bank Holidays)
Travel insurance on company trip overseas.
BUPA health cover
Salary: On application