The very ethos of our style of travel is responsible; small groups on fully escorted tours, experiencing the very best of a region, a culture and a landscape, with a friendly local hand guiding the way. Our itineraries are designed to give our travellers real life experiences without compromising the part of the world we are exploring; to travel responsibly is at the heart of our commitment as a global tour operator.
Although the main draw on this tour is the opportunity to hopefully see a display by one of Earth’s most stunning natural phenomenon, Iceland itself offers a stunning landscape, friendly people and a fascinating catalogue of myth and legend to intrigue even the most cynical visitor. For the environmentally minded traveller, it’s a location that takes its sustainability seriously. 87% of the country’s heat and water demand is met by using geothermal energy, with hydro power supplying 75% of the electricity and the other 25% coming from geothermal power. Environmental responsibility is a way of life to Icelanders and it is something that we aim to reflect through our itinerary.
Discovering the natural wonders of southern Iceland, this trip will venture into pristine wilderness areas such as the National Parks of Thingvellir and Skaftafell, where the entrance fee we pay contributes directly to the upkeep and conservation of these stunning landscapes. We ask all our travellers to journey with respect, disposing of rubbish and litter carefully, recycling where ever possible, and sticking to marked paths and trails when exploring on foot, assisting in maintaining the national parks in every small way possible.
Environmentally, we are a carbon neutral company, offsetting the ground emissions of all our passengers on all our trips. On this journey that equates to 114kg of carbon offset per passenger, per departure. You can join us in offsetting your emissions further by opting to offset those created by your international flight. If making these arrangements with us, we can arrange this for you.
Throughout this trip we support local suppliers and endeavour to ensure that the financial benefits of our visit find their way directly into the communities we are visiting. We stay in small, locally owned accommodations, such as the guesthouses we use in Fljótshlío and Gerdi, and will eat in smaller, often family run restaurants. One of the benefits of small group travel is the opportunity to utilise and support these more traditional, local businesses, giving travellers a more authentic tour experience whilst still keeping funds local.
Vital to the whole experience will be the professional local group leader accompanying you throughout. They will have been recruited from within Iceland; in fact, all of our team ‘on the ground’ will be Icelandic. Employing local group leaders and drivers is a key element of our operations. Not only does it provide employment opportunities and therefore financial benefits in the country we are visiting, but it also gives our passengers access to intriguing local insights, cultural view points and often access to areas that just aren’t detailed in guide books. When travelling with us, local knowledge goes a long way.
Incredible photographic trip in stunning south/east Iceland
From £2200 - £2300 8 days excluding flights