The island is busy year-round with many Lanzarote events having a sporting or outdoor element, including the famous 'Ironman' triathlon. Music, food and culture are also celebrated with carnival and festival days.
- International Lanzarote Duathlon: 5 Km Run - 20 Km Bike - 2.5 Km Run
- Handcycling around Playa Blanca: 21 Km
- Off Road Mountain Bike Races: 30 Km + 60 Km
- Rally Car Sprint Tías - La Candelaria
- Carnival is celebrated throughout the seven municipalities of the island with fancy dress parades, processions of elaborately decorated floats and fancy dress competitions.
- Mountain Bike Rally MTB-XC Costa Teguise: 16.5 km + 22 km + 33 km
- Malpais - Festival de las artes escénicas from March till May: The festival entertainment flooded every corner of the city to bring the most important national artists to delight Lanzarote with their best performances.
- Spring Duatlon: 5 Km Run - 20 Km Bike - 2,5 Km Run
- Full Moon Party - El Chupadero: Funk, Soul & Jazz in Lanzarote
Nicholas Ward, professional triathlete
"It's one of the best places in the world to train for triathlon… We have an 'Ironman' event here each year… it's a really tough event… Cycling is great here. "
- Volcano Triathlon: 1.5 km swim - 40 km bike - 10 km run. The first international triathlon ever held in Spain (1984), the Volcano Triathlon has been rising in popularity and quality, breaking-records in terms of participation. Many famous triathletes took part in this race, including the winner of Ironman Lanzarote for the last two consecutive years, Bert Jammaer.
- IRONMAN: 3,8 Km Swim - 180 Km Bike - 42,2 Km Run. 1500 athletes from all backgrounds and walks of life will complete their own personal challenge and test their endurance to complete the race known as 'The World's Toughest Ironman'.
- Canary Islands´ Day: Canary Islands’ Day is celebrated on May 30th every year. If you plan to be here for Canary Islands Day, you can expect to enjoy traditional plays, food tasting, folk music and a demonstration of traditional Canarian sports, such as El juego del Palo (stick-fighting) or Lucha Canaria (canarian fight).
- World champion Windsurfing PWA Costa Teguise: Global circuit test of the PWA windsurfing in the Freestyle category male and female. This championship brings together some fifty of elite athletes in the discipline of freestyle in Costa Teguise.
- Wine Run Lanzarote: 21 Km Run. A unique running event in the wine district of La Geria; Compete & sample the delicious local wines along the route in some of the planet’s most extraordinary scenery.
- San Juan´s Day: the night of 23 to 24 June. It welcomes the entry of the summer equinox. There are beach parties with music, dancing, fireworks and bonfires during the shortest night of the year.
- Kiteboarding World Tour 2010 - Lanzarote: The PKRA tour stop in Lanzarote promises to be a very interesting event. Famara Beach was the location of the extremely successful 2009 Spanish National Championships. Running contiguously there will be fun local wave riding event
- Señora del Carmen´s Day: She is the patron saint of fishermen, 16th of July. A festival of dance, music and gastronomy with processions through the town and the see is held in coastal areas as: La Graciosa, La Santa and Puerto del Carmen.
- San Ginés´ Day: In august takes place the most important feast of the capital, Arrecife with different cultural and sport competitions, and music concerts.
- Mountain Bike - MTB Rally San Ginés: 24 Km + 36 Km
- Copa del Rey tournament Deep sea fishing Puerto Calero
- Marina Rubicón Marlin Cup: This is a qualifying event for the IGFA Offshore World Championship
- Los Dolores´Day, 15th of September: The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows is celebrated every year with deep emotion, joy and respect, reaching the devotees to the shrine of white spot from all parts of the island and the rest of the archipelago.
- Swim Crossing El Río: 2,6 Km. This social event organised by “the Cabildo de Lanzarote”, gathers both amateur and professional swimmers. The aim of the event is to open up this discipline to a wide range of sport enthusiasts.
- GP42 World Puerto Calero
- IX Trofeo César Manrique Puerto Calero
- La Santa Surf Pro Lanzarote: This World Championship Surf tournament makes it a much more attractive since it shared double points, which attracts surfers from a much higher level.
- Music Marathon Festival Lanzarote: ½ Marathon - ¼ Marathon. Run whilst being entertained en route by all the top local bands on the islands. A finish-line festival will entertain you after the event. Everyone welcome, young, old, able, disabled, there is a race for all.
- Trofeo Puerto Calero Match Race.
- Lanzarote Marathon - Arrecife City: Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, 1/4 Marathon, Marathon by Teams, Marathon Kids: Runners of all ages, from all over the world, will be part of the growing success of the only Marathon event in the Canary Islands. The course includes a stretch of the capital’s newly refurbished promenade featuring a mixture of modern and traditional buildings.
- Christmas events throughout the whole island with traditional markets and feasts.
Read our top 10 tips for things to see and do in Lanzarote