Kerala Connections is a UK based tour operator offering tailor-made holidays to Kerala and South India. We were established in 1998 and from the very beginning had a ‘Fair Trade Policy’. As a specialist in South India we know it extremely well and believe we offer the most comprehensive choice of holidays in this area. Our range of accommodation options means that it is possible to stay in good quality hotels with a high level of comfort without compromising the environment.
Member since: 23 Jul 2008
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We provide our local ground handling agent with 90% of his turnover. Thus we have fifteen local families financially reliant on us.
- Our drivers have a contract and are paid a monthly wage. This is very unusual in South India where drivers are normally on commission only (not easy for such seasonal work).
- We encourage our customers not to purchase goods at shops where commission is paid.
- Our preferred hotels are those with strong environmental policies – this may include water harvesting, reducing water and electricity wastage, recycling rubbish and food waste etc.
- We offer our customers alternative accommodation to hotels such as small guesthouses and homestays.
- Our Indian Agent employs local staff at his office.
- By supporting locally owned hotels and homestays we are helping to provide employment for local communities.
- We provide all our customers with detailed information about the areas they are visiting and this includes advice on appropriate dress, the correct amount to tip, etc.
- We support local charities and encourage our customers to do so too.
UK-based, Kerala specialist that put Kerala on the map before most in 1998. Now they have their own special map of hidden delights, that only years of experience can eke out.