Yoga holidays & retreats in the Alicante region of Spain have been described by the World Health Organisation as one of the healthiest climates in the world.
We offer 5 night yoga & activity breaks at two gorgeous hotels. Choose from a holiday at a rural, cosy mountain hotel or, at a gorgeous boutique hotel by the sea.
In addition to twice daily yoga we offer a range of activities to restore guests energy, find inner peace and reawaken their joy for living.
We have chosen two small hotels to host our Yoga Breaks in Spain. The Hotel Alahuar a retreat centre in the mountains, &, The Hotel Chamarel in a town by the sea.
The Alahuar is owned by a local hotel group. They have 4 hotels in their portfolio. The Alahuar is the smallest of their properties. The management team at head office monitor, control & set policies for the entire group – including production of environmental guidelines for each function of every hotel (kitchen, maintenance, housekeeping, reception).
By contrast, the Hotel Chamarel is privately owned & run by a Spanish husband & wife team who live at & work at the hotel each day aided by a small support team of loyal housekeepers and reception staff. Because of their daily involvement with the operation, they have a more casual way of communicating with their staff, they do not produce formal printed guidelines, preferring instead to cascade information via staff meetings & on a one-to-one basis. They are extremely sympathetic to environmental issues and strive to monitor & implement changes throughout the hotel that minimise environmental impact. For example, they are currently working with the local planning officer to install solar panels on the roof of the hotel … no easy task as the hotel is in a preservation area with very strict development guidelines. But they truly believe they need to do this “small” thing to play a part in damage limitation to the planet.
Member since: 10 Dec 2008
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- Choosing small - locally owned - hotels staffed by local families/individuals who would otherwise have to move away from the area to find work.
- Using local guides & drivers, not just because they are local, but also because they are the soul of the area. Their passion and knowledge
needs to remain here so that this beautiful region can be explored, explained and enjoyed for years to come.
- Giving guests opportunities to support local enterprises via organised visits to markets, restaurants & cafes selling local artisan crafts & produce.
- We Recycle all our plastics, card, tin, glass, water & printer cartridges
- We offer group airport transfers for guests to minimise environmental impact (alternative is hire cars or public transport)
- We encourage our guests to act in a responsible way by minimizing the use of water (sourced from the local hills) and electricity.
- We support local festivals and when's its fiesta time, we encourage guests to visit the festivities in town.
- To take our guests on visits to local business initiatives where they can support local families and artisans through the purchase of hand made goods and crafts.
- We believe that we minimise the impact on local communities, environments and resources by restricting our group numbers to max. 12.