We are a small business creating group holidays in the Highlands. Our holidays help people to experience and enjoy the best of what lies in the dramatic Highland landscapes; the people, the wildlife, the food and the relaxing pace of life.
We provide specialised group holidays as well as tailor- made ones for groups of friends or families.| We have used our own expertise, as well as that of our friends and local experts, to create unique holidays ranging from wildlife weeks, focusing on the bird and plant life of the region, to relaxation weeks, combining gentle walks, massage and yoga. We provide all the catering using local ingredients and accommodation is based on organic farms.
Member since: 26 Jan 2009
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- Our commitment to using local services wherever possible includes sourcing locally for all our accommodation and transport, for virtually all the food we serve and includes most of the experts that we use.
We will generate employment and revenue for local people and businesses including organic farmers, stalkers, market stall holders, fishermen, mountain guides, environmentalists, artists, craftsmen, Ullapool Museum, childminders, taxi drivers, bars, cafes, restaurants and shops.
- Almost all the revenue generated by our holidays goes into the local economy and most of it doesn’t even leave the village!
- We believe passionately in protecting our local environment. We base ourselves in organically farmed and protected areas. All our accommodation is based on organically farmed land. We source all our fresh produce from Ullapool, our fish and seafood generally comes straight out of the Minch and our organic meat and vegetables from the farmland around us.
- We re-use and recycle all that we can, from paper in the office to fishing rope washed up on the beach. We compost all are food waste.
- We arrange local experts to give talks on the wildlife of our region, highlighting their work and specific problems that some species have. We support local charities including the RSBP and the Highland Animal Hospital. We offer our clients the chance to visit the hospital and see the many different wild animals which it cares for and, if possible, prepares for release back into the world.
- Ross-shire is a sparsely populated area dominated by massive tract of mountainous wilderness. Our business helps to support and expand a regional network of like-minded individuals. We help to encourage cohesion and skill-sharing amongst craft practitioners and our other specialists.
- The nature of many of our specialists professions can lead to a fairly solitary or isolated existence for periods of the year (or permanently!). For many of them it is nice to see a bunch of fresh faces from time to time. It is also worth noting that demonstrating skills and teaching brings satisfaction and rewards that working alone can not.
- We make every effort to provide our clients with a complete picture of Highland life. Our local guides and experts share historical, archaeological and environmental information during evening talks and on site visits. We will also try to ensure that they get a taste of the evening live music sessions which are as much part of the Highlands as the mountains themselves.