Go with the Flow- River Adventures
Go with the Flow – River Adventures was established in 1995 by Charlie Horan and continues to be family owned and run. We provide guided Adventures using Canadian Canoes on calm and white-water rivers in the three sisters river valleys in the south-east of Ireland (ie. River Barrow, River Nore and River Suir). In addition we provide a Canoe hire service for those who wish to self guide. We also provide helpful advise and assistance to those who wish to organise a canoe holiday in Ireland. We have assisted many charities in fundraising initiatives. We are committed to providing a sustainable and environmentally friendly tourism product and in helping to raise awareness of one of the most beautiful, exciting and enchanting river valleys in Ireland.
Member since: 18 Mar 2009
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- Go with the Flow – River Adventures is a family owned and operated business since 1995. We operate only in Ireland and on the same rivers since the beginning.
- On canoeing holidays in Ireland we work with local family owned guest houses and hotels rather than chains and multinationals and do not take commissions from the owners. Staying overnight in private accommodation enhances the visitors' experience, since they get an opportunity to be welcomed by a local host and thus get a better insight into the everyday life of local people. Also, this way, our travelers are contributing to the local economy.
- Go with the flow – River adventures gives preference to direct employment of local people and guides. Beside the fact that this kind of employment brings benefits to the local community, local guides are very familiar with the area and they know local people.
- Whenever possible we buy our equipment and supplies through local suppliers and markets.
- We operate a leave no trace policy on our river trips.
- All of our guides are aware of their surroundings and they are constantly providing the travelers with suggestions of how to minimize potential negative impacts on the river ecosystems of the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir. Our guides emphasize the importance of observing the wildlife and leaving the environment as it is.
- Our canoes are made of recyclable plastic. They do not cause any form of air or water pollution and they do not produce noise that could be disturbing for wildlife.
We never use any form of transport involving fossil fuel on the river.
- Our home is our office. At home we harvest rainwater for use in heating, washing and cooking. We only use energy saving bulbs and we recycle as much waste, paper, tin and glass locally as we can.
- We give preference for direct part-time employment to local people and guides from the village of Borris, the town of Graignamanagh and sometimes the bigger local towns of Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford.
- We provide free assistance, time and places to trainee instructors who wish to improve their qualifications.
- On our canoeing holiday we suggest that our travelers visit historically, culturally and environmentally important sights in the area such as St. Mullins which dates back over 1200 yrs.
- We are active and committed to fundraising for local hospice respite, community care and contribute regularly not just financially but through organizing fundraising events such as walks and other community events.
We also support local scouting organizations in the purchase of equipment.