We offer adventure holidays in Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and Patagonia. Groups tours and tailor-made itineraries: Trek the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru, cruise the Galapagos Islands, sea kayak in Chile, mountaineering courses and trekking peaks in the high Andes, trek the Torres del Paine circuit, trekking in Fitzroy mountains and the south Patagonian Ice-Cap, climb Cotopaxi, trek the Huayhuash circuit, tour the Uyuni salt lakes of southern Bolivia, Amazon jungle wildlife, camping and lodge based expeditions, white water rafting in the rivers of Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru.
Member since: 26 Jun 2003
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We work together with local people, paying them a fair price, and putting money into the local economy. We do this by using local agents, local trek staff and experienced and qualified local mountain and cultural guides who have an in-depth knowledge of their own country.
- We use locally owned services such as hotels and restaurants, paying a fair price for those services. We buy fresh local produce for all of our treks from markets and small shops in each departure town.
- We are committed to working in conjunction with local communities in all the countries in which we operate
- In the UK we use recyclable and recycled materials when possible. We use low-energy light bulbs, fair-trade and biodegradable products where possible.
- We are involved in on-going training of the staff we work with in the UK and in the Andes to ensure as high as possible standards of environmental care and responsible behaviour.
On all our trips we aim to minimize waste by using products with minimum packaging, leaving no litter and keeping all water sources clean, leaving camp sites cleaner than we find them.
- Our porters on the Inca Trail are fairly paid, carry a maximum load of 20kg and are supplied with tents and food. In other areas we use donkeys or horses to carry loads.
- We have ongoing contact with the teams that we work with and also with local communities in the areas we trek through. We donate goods such as clothes and shoes to local communities, through appropriate local agencies.
- We ask that is any of our clients have any childrens (warm) clothes and shoes that they would like to donate to Peruvian or Ecuadorian children to take them and give them to our tour leader, who will ensure they go to a suitable organization.
Kathy, who founded this South American specialist company in 1998, is a travellerís traveller. She has travelled all over - both alone and as a tour leader; written guide books; and infuses each trip with her passion for exploration and conservation.