Dragoman are the world leaders in overland travel and have been running award-winning, pioneering adventure trips for over 33 years. Dragomanís purpose-built trucks cross entire continents, reaching off the beaten track locations and local communities, taking time to enjoy the journey and the many activities on offer. Follow the entire Silk Route, journey from Cairo to Cape Town, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, head round the India circuit or through South East Asia to Burma. With Dragoman itís all about taking the road less travelled and getting away from the tourist trail - the journey not just the destination!
Member since: 31 Mar 2010
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We use small locally owned hotels, campsites and activity providers wherever possible and we aim to do as much food shopping as possible in markets, where much local produce is purchased
- By using the services of local guides and employing local African camp masters, we are supporting the local economy as well as providing our passengers with the benefit of direct interaction with local people
- We are also involved with a variety of community projects in key destinations we visit. Our involvement with these projects is a long-term commitment, allowing us and our passengers to participate directly in delivering real practical benefits to the communities we travel through on the ground
- Information is sent by email and extranet - reducing postage and printing. Recycling is practiced wherever possible, in many places this is informal projects with local people collecting materials for recycling i.e.. aluminium can collections in Brazil
- Biodegradables are either buried or given to local people feed livestock. Purchase of drinks in returnable bottles where possible. The use of re-useable shopping bags is encouraged instead of throw away plastic bags.
- Vehicles are generally serviced in established workshops, where the local people have a responsible attitude to the disposal of waste products. Products such as oils and tyres are often reused several times after we have finished with them, used for local trucks as they are happier to run on lower qualities.
- For cooking we generally use gas instead of wood, a cleaner fuel and leaves natural resources for local people. Local fuel sources are used but they must be from plentiful resources and not where it would encourage local people to squander resources or compete with local peoples need for precious supplies.
- We are committed to promoting human rights within our sphere of influence and ensuring that all our people including our staff, travellers, suppliers and local communities as well as other stakeholders who are impacted by our business, are treated with fairness and respect.
- We are involved in a wide range of community-based tourism projects around the world, and we're really proud of what they manage to achieve in what are often very challenging circumstances.
- Involving staff & clients in responsible tourism issues. We are committed to working within our responsible tourism policy and promoting sustainable and ethical business practices with our suppliers. All of our passengers are sent a copy of our responsible travel guidelines in advance of their trip.