Cycle Catalan is a small independent company based in Baix Emporda and registered with the Generalitat de Catalunya. We provide quality self guided and guided tours and bike hire, enabling our guests to experience the natural beauty of Catalunya without damaging the environment.
Member since: 19 May 2010
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We aim to employ a local guide, who will also be responsible for bike maintenance next season.
- Through direct bookings with local hotels and restaurants and visits to local producers we are putting money back into the local economy.
- Our local knowledge has enabled us to source great places away from the main tourist areas.
- Each village has at least one recycling point and a general bin area.
- Small rucksacks are provided with the bikes and guests are encouraged to put all rubbish in it for disposal at the end of each day.
- Information is available for any person touring through the 3 areas of special interest, ie how to visit with the least impact to the wildlife and the environment.
- Although Catalunya is in Spain the first language here is Catalan and we provide a brief overview of the history of the area and give our guests a few words to say in Catalan.
- We are based in Biax Emporda which is very much a rural community that takes great pride in its heritage and traditions, particularly since the end of the Franco regime when many local traditions were banned for Catalans.
- Our tours always include 4 or 5 visits to producers and markets including Cellar Can Sais which dates back to the 17th century and is still in the same family.
Vivian and Alan fell for Catalonia's mountains and coastline during a holiday in 1989. They returned many times to explore, moving here in 2009 to fulfil their outdoor adventure dream, and run cycling holidays.