We are a rural hotel, specialising in guided holidays. Cultural History, Flora, birding and walking holidays. Our walking holidays range from gentle exploration of the regions culture and history to strenuous hill walking and hiking trips. We offer a rare combination of expertly guided trips, comfortable accommodation in truly rural Spanish surroundings, and outstanding cuisine with vegetarians and special diets well catered for.
Member since: 02 Sep 2004
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We bring employment to our local valley were we are the largest employer, all our staff live in local villages.
- All our purchasing is from local suppliers and where possible using local agricultural produce.
- Locally produced products including olive oil and almonds are available for our guests to purchase
- We support local income generation and small business enterprises by supporting locally owned shops and restaurants.
- All waste products from the hotel are separated for recycling
- We achieve a zero litter policy.
- We work closely with local & regional government to bring environmental issues to their attention and to bring about positive action.
- We were instrumental in working with the regional environmental agency and the Quatretondeta town hall to get a significant area of our local mountain range the Sierra Serrella , declared a micro reserve for Flora and Fauna under the EU Life 2000 initiative.
- We maintain close contact with local environmental groups.
- Our business opened in 1993, in 1999 we carried out major reforms, part of which was to insulate the building to the highest standard possible ( the building is 150 years old). In the recently opened new extension insulation was place in all floors and walls including internal dividing walls. Low energy lighting has been installed throughout.
- Solar panels producing over 28kw of energy provide almost 100% of the hot water requirements of the hotel and restaurant, making full use of the average 300 days of sun the area receives each year.
- All our staff have employment contracts in accordance with Spanish law with full social security rights and benefits.
- Our Restaurant specialises in regional dishes using locally grown produce and where possible organically grown produce.
- We encourage our guests to act in responsible way, and with an insight and understanding of the region, its people and their customs.