Hibiscus Travel & Madonna Family Hotel are working hand in hand in delivering responsible tourism in the Greek island of Lesvos through developing a “responsible code of conduct” and maintaining standards.
We promote nature / culture holidays mostly using small locally owned and managed accommodation & tavernas serving traditional home-cooked meals , using local products.
The local community is central to our success in supporting our business, in servicing the needs of our clients. We employ local people, use local suppliers and products. We provide a detailed guide for our guests to make the most of the local area. By being successful in our business, we demonstrate to the world the beauty of the area and enhance our local community with its traditions, customs and values
Member since: 17 Jan 2006
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- As a Travel Agency which is so closely involved and ultimately dependent upon nature tourism, we are acutely aware of the need to protect species and habitats.
Currently Hibiscus Travel donates to the Alykoudi Nature Reserve Conservation Project Fund 25 Euro per holiday booking of nature/culture holidays as advertised
at its web site www.lesvos-ecotourism.com
- Support locally owned small hotels and guesthouses
- Employ local staff and guides as necessary.
- A nature holiday with Hibiscus Travel in Lesvos and the islands of the North East Aegeanregion is an opportunity to experience important habitats, without the removal of any species: plant, seed, bird or animal from its natural environment. Watching and photographing wildlife with the minimum of intrusion and disturbance are what is advised and expected.
We consider ourselves wardens of this huge inheritance for the preservation of the species for future generations to enjoy. We take action ( advising local government bodies, educational seminars, local guidelines, TV & newspaper articles, direct input when breaches of the standards are observed etc) to ensure that these standards are maintained.
Our resent election as Chairperson of LEPET (an environmentally conscious Lesviot Society who promotes “green tourism”) and membership of “The Friends of Green Lesvos” www.greenlesbos.com , an active conservation organisation is only two ways through which we contribute to the wider issue of conservation of the environment.
- Hibiscus Travel promotes and the majority of the time uses small locally owned and managed accommodation (Family Hotels) and tavernas serving traditional home-cooked meals as the local people eat, using locally grown produce rather than westernised adulterated versions.
Regarding gifts and souvenirs to take home we promote the natural edible products (olive oil, olives, honey, preserves, dairy products etc) and handicrafts (pottery, textiles and wood carvings) produced by the nine Women’s Co-operatives of Lesvos and small cottage industry outlets, rather than the imported goods masquerading the genuine traditional goods sold in specific outlets.
To this end Hibiscus Travel supports the operations of LESVOSHOP (Mytilini based outlet of products made in Lesvos & Lemnos), by recommending or including visits to organised programmes of nature holidays.
Also we frequently host, free of charge visiting journalists, conservationists, tour agents of nature holidays to Lesvos and anyone else that is sympathetic to our objectives for Responsible Tourism, who is prepared to work with us in the achievement of these objectives.