On-Track Cycling Holidays in Portugal organises self-guided cycling tours in the south of Portugal. We are a very small company, able to offer individually designed packages to our customers.
Despite its beauty, the inland of this part of Portugal has very little tourism. Some areas are genuinely untouched and so unspoilt, that you see a way of life long forgotten elsewhere.
You will not only get to know the area, but as you travel you will also become more aware of a very real and authentic way of life.
Member since: 30 Jan 2006
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We always use local services and accommodation: small hotels and wherever possible “turismo no espaço rural.” They offer rural accommodation, run by local families.
- We work exclusively with local small businesses, helping them to survive in an often depopulating area.
- Our holidays take our clients on a cycling journey through small rural villages, where all restaurants are owned locally. This way we help to conserve a rural lifestyle and contribute to the overall sustainable development of the region.
- We believe, the impact we make is a very positive one for our local economy
- Cycling is an ideal way to explore the countryside, travelling at a speed that enables you to take in the surroundings without damaging the environment.
- Through our range of routes available we support the following Portuguese Natural Parks:
- Reserva Natural do Sapal
- Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina
- Parque Natural da Ria Formosa
- Parque Natural do Vale do Guadiana
- We actively encourage people to find out more about these natural parks and to visit their information & exhibition centres and we urge them to keep to the recommended paths to avoid disturbing the tranquillity and wildlife of the places visited.
- We actively encourage our clients to be environmentally aware of all their actions and act in a proper, responsible manner at all times.
- Information, tips and recommendations on the life and customs of the local people are given to all clients - we encourage our clients to interact with the local communities they are visiting as much as possible providing a positive experience for all.
- As much as we can our office recycles waste and we use recycled products whenever possible and pioneer this approach when out on trips too to ensure local environments stay pristine for all.
When a Dutchman sets up a cycling company in Portugal, you know it must be for good reason. Bert's reasons are all packed into heavenly holidays. His favourite thing is discovering unspoilt places; Portugal has them in abundance.