Hungarian Bird Tours is based in Eger eastern Hungary and offers relaxing holidays in one of Hungary’s most famous tourist areas. Ideally situated on the southern slopes of the Bukk national park, Eger is less than one hours travelling time to the famous birdwatching sites of Eastern Hungary including the Hortobagy national park and the River Tisza. Staying at the newly opened Hotel Villa Volgy enjoy first class accommodation with both 3 and 4 star accommodation available together with wonderful unspoilt countryside and fantastic wildlife.
Member since: 12 Feb 2007
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- The hotel is locally owned and employees are local people.
- We employ local guides and work closely with the national parks and visiting their wildlife exhibitions for which there is an entrance fee.
- We use locally owned restaurants and give visitors the option of visiting various charging attractions in the area.
- I encourage landowners to view local wildlife & take up European grant aid, available for sensitive land management schemes where specific wildlife occur.
- All walks respect landowners and wildlife conservation.
- Recycling and composting are both carried out by the hotel. Heating is turned off when office is not being used & we take great care not to waste water. We use public transport & car share.
- Almost 50% of the tour cost goes in to the local community (hotel, restaurants etc.)
- Guests are taught some key word in Hungarian at the start of the trip.
- I work closely with the Bukk national Park and private forestry companies to ensure habitat protection for the White Backed Woodpecker and in the past 5 years we have seen a doubling of the population.
An unusual career change: Roy is a retired police wildlife crimes officer in southwest England-turned-birding guide in Hungary. He now shares his love of all things feathered in Hungary's gorgeous Bukk National Park.