Alternatif Outdoor specialises in adventurous outdoor activities in Turkey: white water rafting, sea kayaking, hiking, mountain-biking, canyoning, ski-touring and multi-activity programmes. In addition to our scheduled trips, any of these activities can be arranged or combined to create a customised itinerary.
We are a Turkish, family-run company, established in 1990, making us one of the most experienced outdoor adventure companies in Turkey. The owner is an experienced outdoor guide, actively involved in all our tours. We are proud to offer a friendly, personal approach to all our guests, attention to detail, and a unique experience of the Turkish outdoors.
Member since: 13 Mar 2007
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We use local suppliers of transport, food and accommodation
- The accommodation facilities that we use are family-owned, independent operations, not part of a chain.
- We employ local guides as much as possible & are actively involved in training local people as guides: the owner is a rafting instructor for the Turkish Rafting Federation
- Through membership of the Society for the Protection of Nature, the Nature Society and the Mediterranean Seal Research Group, the management actively supports Turkish environmental organizations involved in environmental protection and awareness-raising activities.
- Our guides discuss with guests the environmental challenges faced in our region, in particular water supply, energy supply and waste disposal, the solutions available, and ways in which individuals can contribute to these solutions.
- In general the accommodations that we use have solar-powered systems for heating hot water and we ensure that accommodations are aware of the high priority that we give to good environmental practices, such as recycling and conservation of water and energy.
- Wherever possible we allocate at least one Turkish-speaking guide to each trip, to assist interaction between guests and local people. As far as possible we use local produce and provide local-style meals to encourage guests to try local dishes and delicacies.
- The tour information that we send out to prospective guests includes advice on cultural sensitivity in respect of dress and behaviour.
- We are actively involved in efforts to maintain standards in outdoor sports in our region: the owner is a member of the local Water Sports Committee set up by the district governor to regulate water-based sports activities in the Köycegiz area (where we operate).
Vedat, the Turkish founder of this family-run company is a river, mountain, sea kayak and rafting guide - he really knows his stuff! His multinational guides pride themselves on a personal, individual approach.