The Small Cruise Ship Collection only promotes voyages for real travellers with carefully selected specialist cruise operators that do not cut corners in their quest to ensure your on board experience is of the highest quality. Travel in an intimate, safe and comfortable environment. Travel to enjoy, but also to see, experience, and learn as you travel and do all this in the company of like-minded travellers. Our small ships offer comfortable to luxurious accommodation and many other amenities to make your stay as comfortable as possible but above all else they are designed to take you to extraordinary places and give you amazing experiences.
Member since: 23 Apr 2015
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- Our small ships sail to many areas that larger ships cannot reach, and to some communities that are only accessible on a small ship, thus spreading the economic benefits into communities that otherwise see little, or no, other tourism.
- We often use guides and experts from local communities, and in some cases, such as Fiji, our entire ships crew is recruited from the local community.
- In some areas we visit, the ships we use are the only form of transport that the communities have to link them to the outside world, and our paying passengers help subsidise these services for the local communities
- Most of the ships we work with raise money from the passengers, by donation or by sale of branded or locally made goods, that is donated to charities that work towards local causes in the areas we work in, and some are instrumental in setting up and supporting vital campaigns, such as saving the Critically Endangered Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
- We minimise paper usage in several ways: we don’t hand out hundreds of brochures at travel shows, and we publish our brochure to our website, thus reducing brochure printing requirement. We email our newsletters to our clients and also confirmation documents that our clients can read on their mobile devices rather than printing.
- We promote several large sailing ships and we have created a section of the website and brochure specifically to promote these environmentally friendly cruises.
- We have a section in our brochure and on our website dedicated to ‘no-fly- cruises .
- All of our passengers are provided with detailed pre-departure information for each cruise - This does a lot more than providing details of when and where they need to go - It provides information on social and environmental conditions in the area they will visit, and guidelines on what to take (or not) and how to behave (or not).
- We ask our passengers to report back to us on their cruise, providing details of the briefings they were given on board, how successful and responsible their shore visits were and how well conducted any wildlife watching experiences were conducted. We follow up on any negative comments.