Web based travel agent selling tours to South America. Fully bonded and licensed travel agent selling in the UK, Australia, US, Canada, Ireland and France. All staff have lived and worked in South America.
Member since: 11 Sep 2007
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We always utilise local guides, drivers and porters for our tours. We also indirectly provide employment to a number of office based booking staff in Peru. Where we use porters we ensure that they are treated in a fair manner. Maximum carrying load for porters is 20 kg.
- All our tours source local food in order to provide economic benefit to the community and to reduce our carbon footprint. We use local restaurants on tour, and all hotels we use are majority (or wholly) owned by Peruvians.
- We visit many sites such as Machu Picchu, and all Inca sites in Peru are administrated by the INC (National institute of Culture and heritage) and fees directly go to the upkeep of the sites. Our guides are also active participants in the clean up of the Inca trail every February.
- Our offices utilise recycling and minimise paper waste. Where possible everything is done electronically (our tour packs are sent via email for example). Where possible our offices use 100% green energy.
- We use local hotels in Peru with modern systems, of which some recycle their grey water for use in gardens. We do try hard to hand pick our hotels and check with them their policies first hand!
- We have an agreement with ANIA – Association for Children and their Environment (for the Apurimac Project) involving 22000m2 and over 200 children. Any customers wishing to be view local environmental projects are provided details for the Project to allow them to visit.
- We work in a number of ways with our NGO’s. All customers who book one of our tours have the option to donate an amount to charity, which many elect to do. We then send this quarterly as a donation to the charity.
- We also liase with the charities about our customers visiting them in Peru and getting in and working first hand with them on the ground. Our charities work in our main areas of concern, Children and the Environment. Volunteers can help in the orphanage of Project Peru.
- We have also been working on earthquake relief in Peru of late, and been providing funds for temporary housing, as well as water and food supplies to various private activities and NGO’s in the Cerro Azul, Ica, Pisco and Chincha regions.