Heart forest retreat in Algonquin Park, Canada
Description of Heart forest retreat in Algonquin Park, Canada
Check dates, prices & availability
As the pioneers of responsible tourism, we've screened this (and every) holiday so that you can travel knowing it will help support the places and people that you visit, and the planet. Read how below.
PlanetOur operations, facilities and staff aim to prove to the world that responsible travel experiences which honour our connection with the earth, local communities, local food producers can be economically viable while being vital to the health and well-being of people across the world. We see our Algonquin Park home as an oasis from this hyper-connected world, and we’ve been recognized internationally for our efforts in teaching and demonstrating ecological principles of design.
Our guests appreciate our efforts at being a low carbon, sustainable, eco-friendly, responsible provider of Algonquin Park retreats and adventures. Join us living closer to and in respectful harmony with the natural world:
* Turn our solar panels to face the sun at different times of day.
* Practice leave-no-trace exploring with us in Algonquin Park.
* Taste the difference in fresh organic grains and preserves, locally raised meat, organically grown fair trade coffee and home grown vegetables.
* Enjoy hot showers and use our energy efficient lights powered by the sun shining on our 26 solar panels producing 2.8 kW of power.
* Participate in our comprehensive recycling program.
* Use our composting toilets and low-flow toilets.
* Stay in a century old log cabin, recycled and rebuilt here at Algonquin Park.
* See our innovative Zero-Power walk in refrigerator that was developed through partnership with the Canadore Collage innovation lab.
* Pitch in with clean up after meal time, recalling a time when the best conversations happened at the kitchen sink.
* Meet local facilitators, support staff and Algonquin Park canoe guides who walk gently on the earth and invite you to do the same.
PeopleCommunity and connection is at the core of our values at Northern Edge. We're active members of the local community in South River, Muskoka, and Algonquin Park, doing what we can to bring tourism to our region and support our neighbours through partnerships like the Explore South River Project (of which we are founding members). We do our best to create healthy relationships between visitors and our local community.
We’ve contributed to the ongoing conservation of local natural areas through involvement with the local Forgotten Trails Association. We are also founding members of the Near North Locavores and host many workshops and events for the local community to participate in.
We shop local! We make socially responsible purchasing decisions, supporting local organic produce providers through a variety of partnerships that support our local community. Products around the Edge are locally created or sourced - right down to our "muskoka-style" bear chairs from 20km up the road. By coming to the Edge, you're supporting a healthy local food culture with locally grown and prepared foods. Your money goes directly into the hands of small independent local farmers and food providers. Guests dine on healthy, home cooked meals featuring local, sustainably harvested foods, and organic/fair trade foods including fresh food right out of our garden, Gregor’s garden and other local food initiatives.
We have created a close-knit working community who we see as friends & family first - employees second. We are committed to fair compensation for our team members, and we provide many opportunities for self-growth, pursuing passions, and community engagement for the team.
The Edge’s mission ‘Rediscover ourselves, empower each other, and heal the earth’ invites our guests to support a dream of personal fulfilment through caring and connecting. This mission is amplified in our work with pre-formed groups where we are able to contribute to the nourishment and community-building for all types of communities.
Popular similar holidays
From CA $999 4 days excluding flights
Slow down to the quiet pace of winter
From CA $1149 4 days excluding flights
Daily yoga, stand-up paddleboard and nature retreat