Kefalonia sea turtle holiday in Greece
Description of Kefalonia sea turtle holiday in Greece
Check dates, prices & availability
As the pioneers of responsible tourism, we've screened this (and every) holiday so that you can travel knowing it will help support the places and people that you visit, and the planet. Read how below.
PlanetThis trip is all about sea turtle conservation! It proves that tourism can be a significantly important tool for conservation, by respecting wildlife and biodiversity in every possible way! Specifically:
* You will become a conservationist yourself when participating in this project!
* Included in your travel package is a donation to the sea turtle charity of Kefalonia.. Wildlife species are not harvested, consumed, displayed, sold, or traded. The animals are treated with respect and by following up advice of the conservationists you make sure not to harm the turtles.
* No captive wildlife is held – no healthy turtles at least UNLESS the sea turtles are injured or sick
* The trip supports and contributes to biodiversity conservation, including natural protected areas and areas of high biodiversity value.
* Interactions with wildlife, considering cumulative impacts, do not produce adverse effects on the viability and behavior of populations in the wild. Any disturbance of natural ecosystems is minimized. No turtle swimming or turtle petting if this causes harm to the animals.
* Information about and interpretation of the natural surroundings is provided to tourists in the area, as well as explaining appropriate behavior while on the beaches where turtles nest. When you volunteer for the sea turtles YOU will be the one raising public awareness on these issues!
* During this holiday you stay in 1 spot: the coastline South of Argostoli.
* The necessary transfers on Kefalonia are group transfers, either in a minivan or by bicycle –this minimizes our CO2 emissions
* When volunteering on the beaches you will mostly just walk.
* For optional excursions possibility to use public transportation (bus) or use your rented bicycle.
* The food on the island is mainly locally sourced, seasonal, and fresh. There are plenty of vegan, vegetarian options available.
* Guides are local, thus reducing his/her need to travel.
PeopleThe tour operator of this holiday is Greece-based and independent. Its vision: Tourism as a Tool for Nature Conservation.
You support the community in the following ways:
* Information about and interpretation of the local culture, and cultural heritage is provided to travelers by locals
* Your tour leader is local, offering local knowledge and expertise
* Local services and goods are purchased and offered, following fair-trade principles.
* Supporting local small entrepreneurs to develop and sell sustainable products that are based on the area’s nature, history, and culture (including food and beverages, crafts, performance arts, agricultural products, etc.). The hotel owners are locals. The hotel is a family-owned, local business.
*Wildlife Sense is the local sea turtle research & conservation organization based on Kefalonia, Greece. Their mission is to protect endangered sea turtles and their natural habitats, offer a unique learning experience to the volunteers and promote public awareness. To achieve the goals, they operate a science-based research and conservation project on the island, in collaboration with local and national authorities.