Spanish Adventure Tours
Request more information or book(Gift vouchers can be used with this operator)
Catalan Adventures is a family run business that offers "self guided walking holidays" in the region of northern Catalonia.
Member since: 24 Jun 2008
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We only work in partnership with local suppliers. The bread we supply for the pack lunches are bought from the local bakery. We buy the fillings from the local market, grocer store and butchers. The accommodation is staffed by locals from the village and the food is sourced locally.
- We eat out every night as a group at a different restaurant; the restaurants are generally small family owned businesses who buy their produce locally.
- Our guests have a free day during their holiday, we give them the opportunity to visit several of the local vineyards, the vineyards are crucial to the local community as they employ a large workforce.
- Tourism plays an immensely important role in supporting conservation in the local area. For example the Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park and the Volcanic Region of the Garrotxa Natural Park. Without the tourists who come to visit the parks they would struggle to find the funding needed to maintain the park for future generations.
- The accommodation located in the heart of the village is built on the ruins of the former home of the Count of Castello and has been renivated by local tradesmen to a high standard using traditional materials. All of our business waste is recycled where possible through a local community initiative.
- On arrival our guests are given information on recycling in the village. They are also given information in the form of a leaflet on how to minimize waste and how to save energy and water.
Established 2006 by UK couple who were keen fell walkers and cyclists back home, but finally fell in love with the glorious trails that traverse Catalonia.
- We encourage our guests to interact with the local community, this gives both the guests and locals the chance to interact and embrace each other’s cultural differences. In order to limit the social impact of tourism all are guests are sent information packs about the local customs, religion, politics and history.
- We support a local renovation project indirectly by giving our guests the chance to visit Iscle Castle and offer them information on how they can volunteer to help here in the future.
- We encourage our guests to visit local craft shops and to buy any provisions locally. We only work in partnership with local suppliers. The bread we supply for the pack lunches are bought from the local bakery. We buy the fillings from the local market, grocer store and butchers.Tourism has benefited the local community immensely, without tourism many of the local restaurants, hotels, guest houses and craft shops would not exist, all of which employ local staff. Many of the younger generation have also stayed due to the employment tourism brings to the community.