Request more information or book(Gift vouchers can be used with this operator)
Odyssey World is a small family run company specialising in tailor made and escorted tours to Africa, Arabia and Asia. Experts in our field, we have all lived and worked in the areas we feature – so we know these countries intimately. As such we are dedicated to ensuring that our holidays minimise environmental and social impact upon the destinations we love and maximise the economic benefits wherever possible. We work hard to ensure that the guidelines we set in place with our local operators are being adhered to at all times.
Member since: 18 Jun 2009
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- We only employ local tour agencies on the ground. As the majority of our tours are tailor-made we only work with local suppliers who in turn only use local guides and drivers.
- We offer clients the option to donate to the Ras al-Jinz Scientific & Visitors Centre in Oman. Ras al –Jinz houses one of the largest nesting areas for Green Turtles in the Indian Ocean. The Ras al-Jinz Sea Turtle and Nature Reserve and the Ras al-Hadd National Scenic Reserve were combined to better protect Oman’s turtles and their natural environment. The total area now protected is 120kms, with 45kms of coastline, extending for 1km into the sea.
- We send our clients a ‘Code of Conduct’ information sheet prior to travel, advising them of the cultural and environmental impacts of their activities. As part of the code we advise them on how to respect the local environment to help preserve it for future generations.
- We actively encourage our clients to offset their emissions through the Reduce my Footprint scheme which donates money to The Travel Foundation who has a range of Responsible Projects in countries around the world.
- We plan tours in a way which maximizes the opportunity for clients to meet local people and learn about the local culture.
- We ensure that all of the local people we work with have good working conditions with reasonable working hours, a contract and a fair wage.
Scottish Liz lived in Kenya until 15; aged 23 she bought a boat ticket back to Africa. She has since lived in S. Africa and the Middle East, witnessing the benefits tourism can bring to communities. Her company is a tailor made specialist supported by an equally well-travelled team.