Request more information or book(Gift vouchers can be used with this operator)
BCEK is dedicated to sustainable tourism and operates eco-camps within conservancies in the Mara Area. We have received international and local recognition for our commitment to responsible tourism having been awarded the ‘Responsible Tourism Award’, ‘SKAL’s Eco Award’ and ‘Gold Eco-rating by ESOK’. In 2009, BCEK was selected by National Geographic as one of the Top 5 savannah experiences in the world. Through our non-profit counterpart, Basecamp Foundation Kenya (BCFK); our travel experiences support conservation and community projects and, offer guests an opportunity to engage in sustainable tourism. The integration of BCFK and BCEK, entrenches our commitment to responsible travel.
Member since: 18 Aug 2011
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- Masai Arts and Crafts project helps the local community gain some direct income from the tourists
- Employ local staff to assist local economy
- The Masai Mara Cheetah Conservation Effort helps to support the local wildlife
- Reforestation and Firewood Production in Masai Mara help protect the local environment
- Basecamps are operated on ecological principles, which entails solar produced electricity, solar heated water, waste management etc.
- Basecamp Masai Mara is evaluated by the Eco-tourism Society of Kenya and top ranked in the country as an eco-tourism destination.
- Basecamp offers support for education of the Masai Youth
- We offer training and education for local staff
- Activities which reflect the local culture are included in the programmes for guests Basecamp works closely with the local community in planning its holidays