4 independent reviews for Cuba highlights holiday
Reviews for Cuba highlights holiday
Melissa Jefferies review 29 Jan 2022
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?We loved the horse rides in Vinhales and Trinidad. Staying in the Casaís meant we really got to hear about the real Cuba. They were also lovely interesting people and the facilities were fantastic.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Money is an issue for Cubans at the moment as they are not able to use their own money to buy many things. They are offering high exchange rates for foreign currency and are desperate for it. Leaving tips in foreign currency is much appreciated so donít change all your money up at the airport.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Absolutely. We were done if the first tourists back since Covid and they were so greatful for us coming back. Tourism is vital for the economy but also individual livelihoods.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Wonderful! Everything went very smoothly and was the right balance between being organised and travelling independently.
Read the operator's response here:
Hi Melissa, I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful time in Cuba! It was such a pleasure planning your trip and I really hope you have some fond memories of your time in Cuba.
Joyce Davies review 28 Apr 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Cuba is such an exciting and different part of the world that we found the whole holiday exciting.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Try and get city/town maps, non/very difficult to find on island
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes, they need tourism income
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Very good.
Jim Fuller review 25 Mar 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Vinales was exciting, but interacting with the people was the most memorable. Warm, friendly, inquisitive and caring.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?If you bring gifts, think of how best to distribute. If not for our driver pulling off to a small rural schoolhouse, we would have been challenging to know how effective our ideas might prove. Also, when in Vinales, do not change money at the local banks. Use the currency exchange office to get best rates and much better service. If you're an American, bring Euro's. It seemed our Canadian currency was treated (extra conversion fees) as though it were USD in the banks.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes to local people, but conservation and environmental efforts really need direction in recycling, cleanliness and the over utilization of plastic. Poverty, of course, was evident, but the people's pride and desire to do better economically were very evident.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Excellent time and great value for the money spent. The operator did an excellent job in putting together a very comprehensive, fun, educational experience with quality accommodations, delicious food and wonderful hosts. Food was much better than proposed.
Read the operator's response here:
Hi Jim, Thanks so much for the wonderful review, I'm so pleased you all had a great time in Cuba! Cuba in my opinion is completely unique to anywhere else and I'm glad you were able to enjoy all the highlights along the way! Please do think of us for your next trip. We offer 22 countries across the globe... question is... where's next? best wishes Emma
Sophie Randall review 31 Oct 2017
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?So many different experiences make it hard to pinpoint one, but tropical storm at La Tarazzas, horse riding followed by Saturday night in Vinales, snorkling on coral reef at Cayo Levisa and Cuba in general.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Allow a little more time for travel between locations as the roads are really poor quality off the main highway and there are no road signs so it is easy to get lost. In fact I would suggest taxi transfers rather than self drive. Make sure you take everything you need (wish I'd packed Vic vapour rub and Lemsip)
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?I feel that our holiday definitely benefited local people, particularly where we stayed in Casa's or ate in people's homes (which highly recommend) our money clearly contributes to an improved standard of living. Not sure about the environmental impact in Cuba. I was a little uncomfortable when I realised Cuban's are unable to visit Cayo Levisa and are only allowed on the island to work, the island was beautiful but it did feel a little flat without the Cuban people, although I can't fault the staff.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?It was the most amazing experience and the arrangements worked like clockwork. Rickshaw's local knowledge clearly paid off in the choice of Casas and in itinary planning.
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.