2 independent reviews for Gorilla and chimpanzee tracking holiday in Rwanda
Reviews for Gorilla and chimpanzee tracking holiday in Rwanda
Rebecca Rittgers review 3 Mar 2020
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?So to start, we didn't do gorillas and chimpanzees tracking in Rwanda. Instead, Wycliffe and his wonderful team arranged a special day trip for our group, the global staff of an international funder of disability rights. Our challenge to Wycliffe - create safari-type experience that everyone in our group - regardless of their ability - could enjoy. And Wycliffe provided! We all experienced screaming baboons, zebras frolicking, and the apex - an elephant emerging from the bush and staring us down! The animals and the team's sensitivity to and knowledge of them made this a day to remember.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Wycliffe is breaking new ground - and providing a space for all travelers, regardless of their ability, to have a rich experience. This is core to their mission- creating travel experiences that have lasting impact and that make a difference for both tourists and the local communities. If you think you can't experience a safari because someone in your group is limited physically, think again!
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes. It was wonderful that two of our four drivers/guides were women!! We also think that our group made an impact on both the Sandfield team and the local guides and restaurants we encountered. All were eager to make sure we were accommodated, and while not perfect, you could tell they all appreciated understanding how to make their services more accessible. It was a win win/learning experience on all sides!
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?It was fantastic. The operator made this a fun almost joyous day. We saw amazing animals and beautiful countryside, and ended our day tired and fulfilled!
Chris Squires review 10 Mar 2017
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Discounting being within an arms length of a family of Gorilla's, Seeing how beautiful Rwanda is as a country and how friendly the people are, considering their recent history was amazing. I would recommend it to anyone.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?We had 3 days in Volcanoes national park, which was a little too long once you'd seen the gorillas and other sights. We only had 1 day round Lake Kivu so would have liked another day there.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Definitely, I know the cost of Gorilla & other permits are expensive, plus tips for guides and trackers, but these people need the income so they don't revert to poaching. Rwanda are developing "community" living and it was apparent to see how lives & homes have improved since 2000.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?4.5 stars
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.