World Responsible Tourism Awards 2014
Parque dos Sonhos and SAASA announced joint winners of the World Responsible Tourism Awards 2014
Founded in 2004, the Awards allow you the chance to celebrate the heroes and share the stories of the most exciting and enduring responsible tourism experiences in the world.
This year the judges wanted to recognise two very different category winners. The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA) for demonstrating that animal attractions can liberate previously captive wildlife and, without petting or exploitation, be commercially successful. Parque dos Sonhos for demonstrating that truly inclusive tourism can enhance the adventure activity experiences for everyone and enable families and friends to share the experience. Both winners demonstrate that it is possible to address the rights agenda, to swim against the tide, and be commercially successful.
The World Responsible Tourism Awards ceremony was hosted at World Travel Market on World Responsible Tourism Day (5 November 2014). The Awards were presented by Justin Francis, Managing Director of responsibletravel.com, organiser and founder of the Awards, and Her Excellency Maitha Al Mahrouqi; Undersecretary of Oman Ministry of Tourism, headline sponsor of the Awards.
All our 2014 Awards winners
Read about each of our winners on their category page, linked below.
Best animal welfare initiative, supported by Born Free Foundation
- Gold winners: World Animal Protection, and South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance
Best aviation programme for carbon reduction, sponsored by Visit Gozo
- Gold winner: Thomson Airways
Best for beach tourism, sponsored by Jersey
- Gold winner: Chole Mjini Conservation & Development Co. Ltd
- Silver winner: Casa de las Olas
Best city hotel, sponsored by Los Cabos Tourism Board
- Gold winner: Hotel Verde
- Silver winners: ITC Grand Chola, and Jurys Inn Brighton
Best cultural heritage attraction, sponsored by Wightlink
- Gold winner: (no gold winner this year)
- Silver winner: Festivals of Puebla
Best destination, sponsored by Visit Norway
- Gold winner: V&A Waterfront, Cape Town
Best for engaging people & culture, sponsored by New York State Division of Tourism
- Gold winner: Kutch Adventures
- Silver winner: Footsteps Eco Lodge
People's Choice for responsible tourism, sponsored by Slovenia Tourist Board
- Winner: Nam Nern Night Safari
- Finalists: Chepu Adventures Ecolodge, Snowcarbon, TUI Nederland, People and places, ReefCI, Village Ways, The Great Projects, and Mara Naboisho
Best for people with disabilities, sponsored by Enable Holidays
- Gold winners: Campo and Parque dos Sonhos, and Cavan town & Environs
- Silver winner: Native Charming Hotels and Accessible Tourism
Best for poverty reduction, sponsored by Tobago House of Assembly
- Gold winner: Adventure Alternative
- Silver winners: Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, and Mdumbi Backpackers
Best short film for responsible tourism, sponsored by Fair Trade Tourism
- Gold winner: Travel Oregon's "John Day River Territory"
- Silver winners: GLP Films' "Basecamp Foundation - Pioneering Sustainable Tourism in Kenya's Masai Mara", and World Wildlife Fund's "The Guardians"
Best for wildlife conservation, sponsored by Discover Dominica
- Gold winner: Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours
- Silver winners: Chambal Safari Hotels Pvt Ltd, and On Track Safaris
The judges' view
Read more about our 2014 winners and past winners.
Many thanks to our headline sponsor, The Sultanate of Oman Ministry of Tourism, and to all our other category sponsors and partners, as well as all the members of the public who nominated and voted in these Awards and, of course, all those tourism organisations without whom the Awards could not exist. Thank you.
Other Awards around the world
We've teamed up with local partners around the world to bring you two brand new Responsible Tourism Awards schemes, launching for 2015: