An English-Moroccan niche-market travel company for small groups and individuals, (registered in Morocco), specialising in cultural tours, special-interest, desert expeditions, arts activity holidays and a year-round programme of community volunteering holidays. Our socio-ethical focus is on the Drâa Valley region and desert village of M’Hamid el Ghizlane in southern province of Zagora where we work in partnership with a newly formed Community Association to develop innovative trips that benefit local population (beyond just economically). The village is occupied by a mix of Berber and Saharoui nomad descendants forced into the village from the Sahara in the past 30 years for economic & social reasons and because of drought.
Member since: 25 May 2010
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- At SheherazadVentures we employ services of local people with an in-depth knowledge of the region/s visited.
- The daily rate of pay for our dedicated guides/tour staff is calculated at a rate which is nearly twice the normal minimum Moroccan wage – thus taking into account the lack of work in off-season periods.
- We ensure that certified official guides are engaged in major cities and at historic sights so as not to undermine the role of Morocco’s Official Tour Guides.
- We provide a Kit List and Practical Information on our website recommending environmentally-friendly toiletries, re-usable water bottles, toilet hygiene tips, recycling of used-batteries, anti-litter procedures, water-conservation techniques etc.
- Where possible we buy bottled water in large 5 litre containers to minimise excessive plastic for waste-disposal (there are no plastic bottle recycling facilties).
- Our community arts/recreational projects include activities aimed to be creative using recycled items found easily in the village.
- Our group clients receive a briefing on Cultural Etiquette at the Welcome Meeting on day of arrival as well as guidance from their Tour Leader/Guide throughout their stay.
- Our tours incorporate visits to local artisans, agricultural co-operatives and heritage sites.
- If clients request we can arrange specific visits to community-based projects and schools.
When an Irish world music broadcaster founds a company with two nomadic brothers from the Moroccan Sahara, you know that creative, ethical thinking must be at the heart of your travel itinerary. And you’d be right. They've offered cultural tours to Morocco since 2009.