An English-Moroccan niche-market travel company for small groups and individuals, (registered in Morocco), specialising in cultural tours, special-interest, desert expeditions, arts activity holidays and a year-round programme of community volunteering holidays. Our socio-ethical focus is on the Drâa Valley region and desert village of M’Hamid el Ghizlane in southern province of Zagora where we work in partnership with a newly formed Community Association to develop innovative trips that benefit local population (beyond just economically). The village is occupied by a mix of Berber and Saharoui nomad descendants forced into the village from the Sahara in the past 30 years for economic & social reasons and because of drought.
Member since: 25 May 2010
How the minimum criteria of the responsible travel standard was met...
- At SheherazadVentures we employ services of local people with an in-depth knowledge of the region/s visited.
- The daily rate of pay for our dedicated guides/tour staff is calculated at a rate which is nearly twice the normal minimum Moroccan wage – thus taking into account the lack of work in off-season periods.
- We ensure that certified official guides are engaged in major cities and at historic sights so as not to undermine the role of Morocco’s Official Tour Guides.
- We provide a Kit List and Practical Information on our website recommending environmentally-friendly toiletries, re-usable water bottles, toilet hygiene tips, recycling of used-batteries, anti-litter procedures, water-conservation techniques etc.
- Where possible we buy bottled water in large 5 litre containers to minimise excessive plastic for waste-disposal (there are no plastic bottle recycling facilties).
- Our community arts/recreational projects include activities aimed to be creative using recycled items found easily in the village.
- Our group clients receive a briefing on Cultural Etiquette at the Welcome Meeting on day of arrival as well as guidance from their Tour Leader/Guide throughout their stay.
- Our tours incorporate visits to local artisans, agricultural co-operatives and heritage sites.
- If clients request we can arrange specific visits to community-based projects and schools.