4 independent reviews for Lionfish spearing marine conservation in Belize
Reviews for Lionfish spearing marine conservation in Belize
Charles Vaughan review 5 Mar 2021
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?The most exciting aspect was escaping from reality and living on this beautiful island with no wifi. I would start my day with a dive at 7am! I was fortunate to have a very good group of fellow volunteers. Along with them, the staff were all amazing and very enjoyable to be around. Finally unlike as described on the website the diet was not mainly 'plant-based'. There was a wide variety of meat and fish, cooked by a very talented chef who takes a lot of pride and care in their work. There was always plenty of food and so I was well fuelled to dive.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?If you plan to take multiple courses (which I suggest as they are very cheap there and the quality of learning is high) then don't do all the e-learning. This is expensive and unnecessary, you can a read the book which they have on the weekends off. I would say this is most applicable to courses such as Advanced, Reduce diver and Deep Dive as with courses such as Open water and Divemaster it is useful to do the e-learning before you arrive.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?I feel it benefits the local people by employing them as divemasters. The beach clean up was a real eye opener to reality of how much plastic is in the ocean. Finally, I felt we were making a good impact to reducing lion fish, which in itself was very enjoyable.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?This is one of the best holidays I have ever been on. The island is very well organised, there is no pressure to go diving and you can relax at times instead. The staff are all very knowledgeable with regards to diving and the local area. If time allowed I would certainly return in the future.
Lynda Hughes review 20 May 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Feeling that you are contributing to the sea environment. Waking up to the beautiful sunrise and seeing the lovely sunset. Living on a tiny island for a short time.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Take minimal clothing. I had too much stuff. Diving is simple so little experience needed. Organisation is a bit haphazard so be aware that you work to Belize time and just relax. The manager Frank brought his three dogs (Two large and one pup) on to the very small island, so not a place if you are not a lover of boisterous, barking dogs.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?The research underaken e.g. identifying fish or bleaching effect is probably not very scientific and is a bit hit and miss but I felt I was helping to contribute more information on the health of the reef. After seeing how many lionfish there are and their destructive effect, I was pleased to help reduce their impact. They are also very tasty.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?I really enjoyed the overall experience. I learned so much from the guides about fish, coral and the reef in their lectures and in the research. Thank you to Willie, and his team.
Ulrike Kachel review 30 Aug 2014
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Hard to choose just one most memorable or exciting part, but if I have to choose, then it was snorkelling with the whale sharks. That was just amazing and we were so lucky to see them that close!
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?One week is definitely not enough. I stayed two weeks and wish I could have stayed longer. Don't worry about finding accommodation prior/post the island stay or wandering what to do over the weekends, Jo at the operator is one of the most helpful persons I have ever met. Thanks again Jo for all your help!
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes, the project gives jobs to local people and provides important information for the fishery department. And of course helps with reducing the numbers of lionfish and raising awareness for marine conservation.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?The best diving holiday I did so far and it will be hard to beat. I learned so much about fish identification and substrates and this makes diving much more enjoyable.
Eric Strobel review 6 Oct 2013
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?The entire trip was a blast! Multiple dives per day without another diver in sight, unspoiled beauty of the amazing reef, incredible food, etc. etc. Everything about this trip was memorable and exciting!
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Although the island accommodations are comfortable and the staff is amazing, this is not a high-end luxury trip. The staff takes good care of you, but there are a few (modest) inconveniences such as no WiFi during the day, limited fresh water and limited electricity. These are good things if you are trying to get away from it all, but would be a challenge if you are trying to conduct business. Let's face it, you should not be conducting business on a SCUBA diving trip in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, but if you want to do that, you should find another location. If you want to focus on diving with a great bunch of people, you can't do much better than this.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Absolutely. We saw the benefits for the reef first hand and saw the economic benefits when we visited a restaurant on the mainland (Asha's Kitchen) which the operator supplies with lion fish. They also have several locals on staff and works hard to use local tour guides for trips.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Overall, this holiday exceeded my expectations.
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.