2 independent reviews for Seychelles Island conservation holiday
Reviews for Seychelles Island conservation holiday
Louise Banks review 15 Nov 2016
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Every second, from getting on the boat to going to leaving, everyday was marked with memories. Snorkeling and beach patrol were my favourites along with spending time with Elliott, one of the environmental team, he was a very knowledgeable man and taught me so much, however, planting, data input, tortoise GPS tracking, driving the buggy to name a few of the other jobs i did were equally fun and rewarding.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Enjoy every moment, as time vanishes on North Island, 4 weeks felt like 4 days. Take time to get to know everyone on the island, everyone is so interesting and holds so much knowledge. Always have a camera with you. Take plenty of bug spray and once you pack your case, open it back up and take out half of it, camera, good shoes for climbing the trails, flip flops are all you really need, your live in staff uniform, you receive a list of what they advise and if just going to island that is all you need.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes, the project on the island is to take it back to how the Seychelles once was, enabling endangered wildlife to return and live in conditions they once knew when they thrived. In working on the team you allow the permanent members of staff to get on with important work whist you collect data needed for this and get to see so much wildlife. I Believe the island is about to receive an award for all there hard work.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?A trip of a lifetime, would advise anyone looking at this to just book now, you wont be disappointed, the project is set up and very well run, everyone is very accommodating, happy and helpful. I could talk for hours about all my experiences and still have stories to tell. Amazing, you will never experience anything like this anywhere else, clean air, clear night skies filled with stars, standing on a beach without another person, sun rises and sunsets, living your own wildlife documentary and being surrounded with kind honest people. Thank you Responsible Travel for finding this project, its what dreams are made of.
LINDA VERNON review 6 Jul 2015
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Beach walking ,recording locations of nests. seeing the hatch-lings making for the sea. It is another world where you can totally relax leaving your worries behind you and putting things in perspective. Enjoy the snorkeling and the giant tortoise learning their behaviour. Taking part in a project which is designed to encourage the survival and thriftiness of some of the threatened species in the Seychelles. Removing some of the invasive vegetation and species as required.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Be happy and confident enough to be able to enjoy the moments when you are alone with nature. everything is provided so travel light .Free laundry, three meals a day, your own wooden hut in the jungle village with own bathroom ,shower and fan, the clothes you wear etc. Arrive early or stay on late if you want to see the rest of the Seychelles. leaving and returning to the island during your months stay is rather difficult because of ferry times.Be prepared to mix in with the 150 permanent residents and make friends if you want to really get the most from your holiday.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?It helped local people to a degree by providing an environment encouraging the development of the original habitat of the Seychelles which in turn encourages managed tourism bringing money to the islands in support off the local population.the idea is to make environmental impact a positive input. One or two anomolies do occur but it is the money from the tourism that funds the development of the environment on as island like this -so just remember that.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?A unique experience from which you gain as much as you put in. I loved it.THERE IS NO AGE LIMIT .Anyone can earn and enjoy the fullfilment.
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.