2 independent reviews for Whale shark research in Mexico
Reviews for Whale shark research in Mexico
Sandra Bateman review 20 Aug 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Fantastic trip with many memorable moments - swimming with the whale sharks was amazing and swimming with 2 manta rays and seeing their courtship ritual on the final day was magical.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Whale sharks were approx. 90 mins by boat from Isla Mujeres and it can be quite a bumpy ride so take medication if you are prone to sea sickness.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes, we stayed in a local hotel. The holiday company provided reusable water bottles and had arranged for the bar in the hotel to refill these for free. The trip helped support the local whale shark research charity and also Marine megafauna foundation.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Excellent
Rachel Calvert review 13 Aug 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Snorkeling with multiple whale sharks was awesome. We got so close. Dr Chris Rohner, the marine biologist, on this trip was able to take whale shark skin samples which we were given the opportunity to prepare before they were sent to the lab for DNA analysis. Watching male mobular rays chasing a female was a real privilege as we were in the sea with them. The real highlight for me was snorkelling with two giant oceanic manta rays!
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Practice snorkelling first as you are in the sea lots and you need to feel comfortable. Bring an underwater camera / gopro so you can fully participate in taking ID photos of the whale sharks. These are then uploaded onto an international database.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?We were given re fillable bottles and there was water available at the hotel. This helped reduce plastic waste. We were encouraged to collect any plastic floating in the sea. Local dive guides were employed by aqua firma.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?AMAZING ... we took a 13 and 17 year old with us who got so much out of this ... they are both fascinated by cetaceans and were competent swimmers / snorkellers.
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.