3 independent reviews for Bhutan culture & home stay tour
Reviews for Bhutan culture & home stay tour
Ian McIntosh review 24 Mar 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Seeing the soaring himalayas from our snowy Bumdra camp early in the morning was an unforgettable experience.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Firstly - go and go now! Bhutan is a beautiful country - itís people are warm and welcoming and it is culturally fascinating. Read about Buddhism when youíre there and you will get more out of the experience but just go!
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?We used a charming local guide and a driver for the whole trip and we also did a home stay.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?It exceeded our expectations - in addition to the stunning scenery, ancient temples and welcoming people, we found it fascinating to see a country at the cusp of huge change.
Deb English review 5 Mar 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?Please don't make me choose the best highlight - but if I have too, then it was the drive from Thimphu up through the Haa Valley, which has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth - you have to see it to believe it.
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?Whilst loyal to it's traditions, Bhutan is not a living museum so be prepared for more modernity than you may have expected. Tourism is a major and growing industry, but very carefully controlled and so, for that reason, your holiday is organised and you are in the company of a guide and driver for much of it. They are excellent at their jobs, very knowledgeable and will tweak the timetable if they can do it so don't be afraid to ask. Think about doing a home stay or at least having a home cooked meal - the hotels and restaurants are of a good standard but eating local farmhouse food, cooked and served in the traditional Bhutanese way, is an experience not to be missed - they might even teach you how to make your favorite dish if there's time. Oh, and don't forget to haggle when you're shopping - the marked price often isn't what you have to pay.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Absolutely, though I do have some concerns about the environmental impact of the amount of plastics being used, water bottles for example.
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?It wasn't what I expected, but I'm not sure what that was. I didn't realize I would be accompanied quite so much, and, at first, that niggled a bit, but once my guide explained, very honestly, the reasons why independent travelling was not found to be appropriate for Bhutan I understood the situation and became more comfortable with it, also, you can get used to the 4 star treatment very quickly, and 4 star it is - the country, the people, the food, the culture - all of it. Was I glad I went, oh yes, will I go back, most definitely.
Ludovica Cavallari review 10 Apr 2013
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your holiday?It is a hard question as the whole holiday was very memorable. The Tiger Nest walk, the Gangtey Valley, the Lika Monastery as well as the Wangditse Gompa were the places we liked the most
2. What tips would you give other travellers booking this holiday?I would tell them that Bhutan is much more touristic than what I thought but, despite that it manages to remain unspoilt and very spontaneous. Being more touristic also means very well organized and with very good hotels.
3. Did you feel that your holiday benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes, I think so
4. Finally, how would you rate your holiday overall?Super!!! For that, I really have to thank Namgay & Dorji for the great organization, their kindness, the attention to details, their professionalism, for the accommodations they booked, and especially for the guide and driver who made our trip really special: one by answering to all our questions, the other one for driving so safely, and both for their attention and kindness
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.