Dolphin conservation holiday in Greece
Kid friendly! >11 yr olds can participate & discount for minors.
Description of Dolphin conservation holiday in Greece
This dolphin conservation trip takes place on and around the serene Greek Island of Alonissos. Explore the National Marine Park of Northern Sporades, a refuge for rare seabirds, dolphins and the Mediterranean monk seal. Along with a small group of like-minded participants, you’ll help researchers collect valuable data on the four dolphin species found in Greek waters. It;s not all hard work. There will be time to enjoy Greek Island life, lazing on the beach in the afternoon and eating out in the evening in picturesque villages.
What this holiday entails:
The project takes place during Summer in the National Marine Park of Alonnisos. You’ll go on daily dolphin trips with your friendly & skilled captain and the marine biologist. On the marine research vessel you go on the look-out for dolphin pods. When you spot them you and your team collect information on dolphin behavior as well as population status. Lunch will be served on board and there will also be plenty of time for swimming, snorkeling, tasting delicious Greek fare and visiting remote islands, caves and beaches. Daily tours will depart at 9am and finish at either 3pm or 4pm.
You’ll be fully introduced to research methods such as dorsal fin photography and GPS-recording; and in the evenings, you’ll have the opportunity to attend talks by field biologists on dolphin behavior, marine research, and environmental challenges facing the region.
Alonnisos is a stunning island far removed from the tourist crowds. You’ll stay in well-equipped self-catering apartments near to the charming main port of Patitiri. Children aged 11 and over are welcome to attend when accompanied by a responsible parent or guardian.
There is the possibility to book this Conservation Holiday excluding accommodation as well, at a reduced fare. Contact us for more information.
Check dates, prices & availability
7 Reviews of Dolphin conservation holiday in Greece
Reviewed on 05 Aug 2021 by Jane HowesFantastic. Highly recommended....Everything was great! But the most memorable and exciting part was getting close to dolphins as we cruised between islands. It was awe-inspiring Read full review
Reviewed on 14 Aug 2019 by Lara MaistrelloThe most memorable moment was when we had the opportunity to see a monk seal quietly sleeping on a sandy beach, just in front of us, on the first day of our vacation! Read full review
Reviewed on 10 Jul 2019 by Sarah BigbyI had a fantastic holiday. Kimon was a wonderful and knowledgeable guide and ensured that even on days when the weather meant we couldn't go on the boat to look for dolphins other activities were arranged. The island has a lovely welcoming feel to it and the people both at MOm and on the island in general are very friendly and keen to make sure you have a good time. Read full review
Reviewed on 21 Aug 2019 by Serena CatalanoThe most memorable parts of the holiday were being in the sea and watching marvellous places, the sea dolphin view was amazing. Read full review
Reviewed on 08 Aug 2019 by Emma ThorpeSeeing the dolphins was magical and the beauty and peace of the island was very special. Read full review
Reviewed on 20 Aug 2018 by Vanja YatesThe overall experience was unforgettable!! Joining the research team, learning and seeing dolphins in their natural environment were breathtaking Read full review
Reviewed on 08 Aug 2017 by Susan FitzpatrickAn excellent experience !!! We didn't want to leave. Read full review
PlanetThis trip is all about dolphin conservation! It proves that tourism can be a significantly important tool for conservation, by respecting wildlife and biodiversity in every possible way! Specifically:
* You will become a conservationist yourself when participating in this project! You act towards the conservation of the dolphin population in the National Marine Park of Alonissos.
* Included in your travel package is a donation to the Greek charity that operates these trips.
* Wildlife species are not harvested, consumed, displayed, sold, or traded.
* No captive wildlife is held.
* The trip supports and contributes to biodiversity conservation, including natural protected areas and areas of high biodiversity value.
* Interactions with wildlife, taking into account cumulative impacts, do not produce adverse effects on the viability and behaviour of populations in the wild. Any disturbance of natural ecosystems is minimized.
* Alonissos Island is a Green Destination and implements measures such as a “plastic-free policy”.
In order to keep our environmental impact as low as possible you walk mostly in Patitiri (where the port, your house and the Research Centre is located). Locally you will use the public bus network when needed.
-No planes or cars used.
-Transfer to island by ferry line.
-Walking within the programme
-Local products from small local markets for homemade dinners and lunches
-Lodging in a private owned apartment, with no extra cost on every day washing of linens and bath towels
PeopleOne of our core values is to celebrate a Diversity of Place & Culture whilst delivering you rich and authentic experiences at an affordable price. It is done because we are 100% local. Expect authentic experiences such as local traditional cuisine and local traditional architecture in an area untouched by mass tourism!
We support the community in the following ways:
* Information about and interpretation of the local culture, and cultural heritage is provided to travellers by locals
* Your charity is local, offering local knowledge and expertise
* Local services and goods are purchased and offered, following fair-trade principles.
* Supporting local small entrepreneurs to develop and sell sustainable products that are based on the area’s nature, history and culture (including food and beverages, crafts, performance arts, agricultural products, etc.). Activities like goat milking and visit local monasteries are on the “menu”
* Purchasing policies favour locally appropriate and ecologically sustainable products, including building materials, capital goods, food, beverages and consumables. Alonissos is the 1st “plastic-bag free island” of Greece.