Best yoga holidays & retreats in Europe
Loosen your limbs and free your mind on a yoga retreat in some of Europe’s most beautiful landscapes. Want to do your sun salutations on the beach? Greece, Spain and Portugal will oblige. Or, if you’re more into mountains, how about a chalet in the Austrian Alps or a farmhouse in Montenegro? Although based in Europe, these holidays respect and reflect the roots of yoga. Alongside daily yoga practice and meditation, you’ll get the chance to rest and relax in your own time – or join hiking, wild swimming, surfing or intensive language sessions. Read on to find out our top 10 yoga holidays and retreats in Europe.
1. Yoga & fitness in Spain
For a holiday that will kick-start a healthy regime, combine yoga with a week of fitness training on the northern Costa Blanca. You’ll do daily yoga, Pilates and circuit training and take hikes into the surrounding hills. Nutrition workshops will help you transition to healthy eating back home. You’ll be put up in a swish apartment complex complete with a gym and lagoon pool.
2. Yoga & walking in AustriaPicture this: you wake up at dawn and head outside for gentle yoga and stretching as the sun rises behind the mountains. Then it’s back inside to eat a healthy organic breakfast and prepare for a hike through Alpine scenery. This is how every day begins on a yoga and walking holiday in the East Tyrol Mountains. Healthy plant-based food and nights spent in a beautifully designed mountain house round out the picture.
When to go: June to September
Our top selling trip: Austria yoga and walking holiday
See all our trips: Austria holidays
Read more: Yoga holidays in Austria guide and Austria walking holidays travel guide
3. Yoga in GreeceFor a yoga retreat that’s high on relaxation, head for the Pelion peninsula. You’ll stay in a gorgeous waterfront house with views over the Pagasetic Gulf, and yoga sessions will take place on a wooden platform surrounded by olive groves. Free time can be spent swimming, snorkelling or chilling out in the gardens. Wholesome vegetarian meals will keep you nourished.
When to go: June to September
Our top selling trip: Greece yoga holiday
See all our trips: Wellness holidays in Greece
Read more: Wellness holidays in Greece travel guide and Greece travel guide
4. Walking & yoga holidays in the South of France
Combine French cultural immersion with twice-daily yoga at a pretty guesthouse high in the hills behind the French Riviera. In your free time you can potter about the medieval village of Saint-Jeannet and hike in the hills or along the Cagnes River, where you’re encouraged to try gourmet treats such as the local cheese and bread.
5. Yoga in PortugalFor the ultimate healing sanctuary, head to the forested slopes of the Serra de Estrela Mountains. The natural environment is therapy in itself, but a series of classes and workshops will help revitalise you even further. Think forest bathing therapy, mud baths and tailored health consultations. And of course, there are daily yoga workshops, both in the studio and in the wild.
When to go: March to October
Our top selling trip: Yoga holiday in Portugal
See all our trips: Wellness holidays in Portugal
Read more: Yoga holidays in Portugal and Portugal travel guide
If you'd like to chat about Europe or need help finding a holiday to suit you we're very happy to help.
6. Yoga & sailing in Greece
There are few better ways to explore the gorgeous Greek islands than by boat, especially when that boat doubles as your own mobile yoga retreat. Enjoy sun salutations on deck as the sun rises over the crystal-clear Ionian Sea, and swim and snorkel in hidden bays, explore ancient fishing villages and go on island hikes between yoga practices.
7. Yoga retreat & surfing on the AlgarveSurf, bodyboard or just frolic in the waves at some of the Algarve’s most beautiful Atlantic beaches – and contemplate your connection with nature during daily yoga sessions. Nights are spent at a peaceful eco retreat and farm a short bike ride or walk away from sandy Odeceixe Beach. Healthy organic meals cooked using herbs and vegetables from the gardens are included.
When to go: April to October
Our top selling trip: Algarve yoga and surf eco retreat
See all our trips: Algarve holidays
Read more: Yoga holidays in Portugal and Algarve travel guide
8. Learn Spanish & yoga in the Picos de EuropaRe-energise your mind as well as your body on a Spanish and yoga holiday in the Spanish mountains. Daily intensive Spanish lessons, yoga and Pilates classes are included, but the rest of the time is yours to enjoy. You’ll be on the doorstep of the Picos de Europa as well as on the route of the legendary Camino de Santiago, so regular walks are a given.
When to go: May to September
Our top selling trip: Learn Spanish and yoga in the Picos de Europa
See all our trips: Spain wellness holidays guide
Read more: Yoga holidays in Spain guide and Spain travel guide
9. Yoga holiday in Montenegro
Spend a week at a farmhouse in Montenegro’s Lake Skadar National Park, brushing up on your poses and eating tasty vegetarian meals. There’s an airy yoga studio for classes, but many take place outside: in a meadow, perhaps, or at the stone corn circle of a medieval village. After morning practice and breakfast, you’re free to chill out at the farmhouse, though most people opt for an outdoorsy adventure such as wild swimming, hiking or kayaking.
10. Concentrate on your chakras in ValenciaSet amid fragrant orange and olive groves, this yoga holiday takes place within a handsome Arabic farmhouse with its own swimming pool. You can dip in and out of twice daily Hatha and Vinyasa classes as you choose, with guided meditation sessions, nature hikes, workshops and massages also on offer. The wellness is rounded-off with organic, plant-based cuisine with many ingredients sourced from farms around the sundrenched Valencia region.
When to go: All year-round
Our top selling trip: Yoga retreats in Valencia
See all our trips: Spain wellness holidays
Read more: Spain wellness holidays travel guide and Valencia travel guide
More about Europe
When is the best time to visit Europe? Check out our temperature chart and travel advice that spans all the way from Finland to Spain.
Our Europe travel guide lifts the lid on what we rate and what we don’t, including information about the food, shopping and people.
Read our Europe map and highlights for ideas on where to go in Europe. They'll help you get to grips with distances and travel times.
Our top activities in Europe range from activity holidays and wildlife watching to cultural touring and cookery classes. Read our guide for more.
Sure, you won’t see the Big Five, but our top 10 wildlife holidays in Europe explain where the wild things are.
Find out which tours have made our top 10 European adventure breaks, as well as when to go and our recommended guides.
Cooking and food holidays in the Mediterranean are a feast for the senses. Discover why.
Whether you fancy exploring multiple countries or one region, your first time in Europe offers a continent of experiences.
Find out what we recommend when it comes to family holidays in Europe and read tips from our expert partners on where to travel with kids.
Overdevelopment, cruise ships, pollution and captive cetaceans are hot topics when it comes to responsible tourism in Europe.
Find all our Europe guides in one place, from Croatia to Finland and everything in-between, and discover some of our activity guides.